Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

Nobody expects things to 'change overnight'. But it's been over a decade since Sevenstone was first conceived. Now we're told that it's been shelved until at least 2015. So 15yrs with nothing to show for the project, isn't exactly overnight. If there are firms, like Scottish Widows that do actually put their money where their mouth is (The Moor development) they should be encouraged to continue. SCC's let Hammersons lead them a merry dance.

And yes, we have been left with big empty building sites: note the afore-mentioned Carver Street/Wellington Street areas. Along with a deserted hotel, the Grosvenor, & other decaying 60s/70s buildings.

A lot of people on here do seem to expect things to just spring up overnight, the new market is a perfect example, the site was mostly cleared and then was held up as Home bargains didn't want to leave till their lease ran out, then the first developer with their very nice plans pulled out because of the monetary problems. so a scaled back plan had to be implemented and then a new builder found, this had to go out to tender which again takes time. However this has now been sorted and work is progressing and I look forward too seeing it once the hoardings are down.

Wellington street has never been part of the retail section of the city and neither has Carver street, well not in my memory anyway so if a few parts there are now car parks or empty sites I'm not going to get to worried.

As far as Hammersons go I have decided to try and find a council officer who can put me in the picture explaining the council thoughts on this annoying state of affairs. The Sevenstone development may of been on the cards for some time but although I believe some of the early stage work was done such as re-routing major services i don't believe that any plans were put forward till about five years ago maybe less than that. If I do get any answers from the council I'll no doubt give an update, a list of planned works and a time scale would be nice i suppose.

Croydon council seem to be able to get retail development schemes off the ground and delivered, as a £1billion retail development by Hammerson and another company has been signed . Yes ,this is the same Hammerson that sheffield council have been begging to start building Sevenstone , but nothing ever happens. So it seems Croydon council arnt as inept as sheffield council ,and know how to get projects up and running and built.

http://www.out-law.com/en/articles/2013/january/westfield-and-hammerson-sign-joint-venture-for-1bn-croydon-retail-development/

but the point is they have still got the moaners, like every other town and city, like you lot. and they havn`t got a Meadowhall to compete with,plus empty shops.

Edited by downhiller

Wellington street has never been part of the retail section of the city and neither has Carver street, well not in my memory anyway so if a few parts there are now car parks or empty sites I'm not going to get to worried.

Wellington St, Carver St, the back area of Cambridge St, the Grosvenor complex (the sites that are currently derelict) - were all integral to the Sevenstone project, so retail was to be the key feature of those areas. They represent a huge area to be derelict in a modern city centre, & remain a highly visible sign of SCC's failure to deal with Hammersons.

If you're in a position to, take a trip to Leeds (£12 return by rail) and see what they've been up to in the same time-frame. Their Trinity centre opens in 2 weeks time - a £350million retail project, that has revitalised a dated area of the town centre, attracted new & existing retailers, and has been built through a recession. They've also built a 12,000 seat, state-of-the-art arena, not far away.

http://www.trinityleeds.com/

http://www.leeds-arena.com/

Edited by Dragonfall

Nobody expects things to 'change overnight'. But it's been over a decade since Sevenstone was first conceived. Now we're told that it's been shelved until at least 2015. So 15yrs with nothing to show for the project, isn't exactly overnight. If there are firms, like Scottish Widows that do actually put their money where their mouth is (The Moor development) they should be encouraged to continue. SCC's let Hammersons lead them a merry dance.

And yes, we have been left with big empty building sites: note the afore-mentioned Carver Street/Wellington Street areas. Along with a deserted hotel, the Grosvenor, & other decaying 60s/70s buildings.

I support a charity which has been affected by the Moor and the Sevenstone developmnets.

In 2000/2001 the charity was told it would have to move from its then base in Bank Street, to a temporary building, on the outskirts of the city centre. In truth, it could not have been any further out,and still have been in the city centre.

The trustees of the charity were told that it was a temporary measure, and only for a maximum of FIVE years, till about 2006 when the sevenstone was meant to open.

We were also promised accommodation in the new market development, the opening of which is scheduled for the end of 2013.

The plans for the markets were then downsized, which meant that there was then no obligation to provide for us.

The Sevenstone was then postponed...

and postponed...

and postponed...

The net result of which being that we are now still no closer to this development being started than we were in 2001.

It's just a pantomime.

Wellington St, Carver St, the back area of Cambridge St, the Grosvenor complex (the sites that are currently derelict) - were all integral to the Sevenstone project, so retail was to be the key feature of those areas. They represent a huge area to be derelict in a modern city centre, & remain a highly visible sign of SCC's failure to deal with Hammersons.

If you're in a position to, take a trip to Leeds (£12 return by rail) and see what they've been up to in the same time-frame. Their Trinity centre opens in 2 weeks time - a £350million retail project, that has revitalised a dated area of the town centre, attracted new & existing retailers, and has been built through a recession. They've also built a 12,000 seat, state-of-the-art arena, not far away.

http://www.trinityleeds.com/

http://www.leeds-arena.com/

I'm not really bothered what leeds have been up to as I don't live there or go there very often, good for them though if they have managed to get new things built. I'm rather more interested in Sheffield and so although I can picture the big red brick fire station it's not particularily visible unless you go looking for it. I will go and have a look to see if there are buildings up that way that are derelict and obviously not going to be used even on a short term basis and then may ask why they have been left to fester. The hotel might be empty of residents and may look a little dated but is still in a reasonably good state of repair , the car park should be kept open as it seems to be locked up according to a friend which is a shame.

I support a charity which has been affected by the Moor and the Sevenstone developmnets.

In 2000/2001 the charity was told it would have to move from its then base in Bank Street, to a temporary building, on the outskirts of the city centre. In truth, it could not have been any further out,and still have been in the city centre.

The trustees of the charity were told that it was a temporary measure, and only for a maximum of FIVE years, till about 2006 when the sevenstone was meant to open.

We were also promised accommodation in the new market development, the opening of which is scheduled for the end of 2013.

The plans for the markets were then downsized, which meant that there was then no obligation to provide for us.

The Sevenstone was then postponed...

and postponed...

and postponed...

The net result of which being that we are now still no closer to this development being started than we were in 2001.

It's just a pantomime.

I take it that Mark has yet to find or be offered a suitable location? Would Scottish Widows be prepared to help out in any way or can the council be leaned on a little more heavily to offer an alternate site

---------- Post added 05-03-2013 at 15:28 ----------

I can picture the big red brick fire station it's not particularily visible unless you go looking for it.QUOTE]

?? :huh:

The assertion that it is a large area of under used sites and highly visible, it's not on a major thoroughfare or even noticed I bet by the majority of the people who either work, shop or live in the city centre.

I'm not really bothered what leeds have been up to as I don't live there or go there very often, good for them though if they have managed to get new things built. I'm rather more interested in Sheffield

The phrase "know thy enemy" is appropriate.

The assertion that it is a large area of under used sites and highly visible, it's not on a major thoroughfare or even noticed I bet by the majority of the people who either work, shop or live in the city centre.

Well, the best way to judge, is to have a walk around the area. But Carver St (leading from Charter Square to West St) is hardly 'off the beaten track'.

What is classed as 'the city centre' for the purposes of current reference by most agencies, is the area within the inner ring-road - which takes in the Devonshire Quarter, St Vincent's Quarter, the Markets, the Matilda Street developments, the Riverside, Moorfoot, the train station, Hallam University complex, the Interchange, the Peace Gardens/St Pauls area. It's large area, in which 16,000 people live, and there are vast areas of it in need of redevelopment - retail, housing, landscaping.