Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

More like the economy is down the tubes!. really what do we expect?. none has got the money to pay for 1 parking, 2 overpriced goods, 3 underwhelming shopping experience.

not with Leeds standing out at the moment with their retail complex

Not so! Don't fall into the councils trap of making us think this is poor third class city that should make do with fourth rate amenities.

Good luck with that:o

Which will be given. And come 2015 we'll be told it's starting in 2017.

I think the idea with SCC is that you give them incentives. Not vice versa.

It might, but SevenStones is key. Without that and with the Grosvenor standing there like some ominous sentinel of stagnation...it's hard to see.

Well good to see some positive feedback there Jonny. Shall we all just pack pack our bags & moved to Leeds?

I can tell you that the whole area around Henry's is currently under offer. That includes Casbah & the motherwell building. The car park under Grovenor is also under offer.

The hammerson project looks dead. Especially after todays news that they are looking at a new project in leeds to start construction next year.

But most business's have a 5 year plan and 2017 would be close to that.

Its a gamble but i really dont believe that Sevenstones will happen. Its widely predicted its going to take 10 years for the economy to recover and they obviously dont want to take the risk when its not.

I meant good luck getting information from scc. Any new venture in Sheffield is welcome.

I'd triple check the small print on your lease though!

I know what you mean!

Its a number of business plan scenarios that i am currently looking into but i wanna stay in the mighty steel city.

:thumbsup:

Well good to see some positive feedback there Jonny. Shall we all just pack pack our bags & moved to Leeds?

I can tell you that the whole area around Henry's is currently under offer. That includes Casbah & the motherwell building. The car park under Grovenor is also under offer.

The hammerson project looks dead. Especially after todays news that they are looking at a new project in leeds to start construction next year.

But most business's have a 5 year plan and 2017 would be close to that.

Its a gamble but i really dont believe that Sevenstones will happen. Its widely predicted its going to take 10 years for the economy to recover and they obviously dont want to take the risk when its not.

I wonder if Mothersole feels like he's just discovered his partner has been stringing him along for years whilst secretly courting his arch enemy :hihi:

Its a complete farce, this Labour council is utterly incompetent.

What would you do if you were in charge? Genuine question.

They've got 2 choices as I see it. 1) Put pressure on Hammersons and hope that it doesn't scare them off.

2) Bin Hammersons off and go back to tender. Bear in mind though that its a very different economic position from the last time, and developers aren't exactly queuing up to invest in a city centre as weak, from a retail perspective, as Sheffield.

Edit. There is a third choice. Let retail in the centre die, and promote retail development at meadowhall

Edited by mike208
Addition

Surely we can't far off looking at asking for a Governmental Public Enquiry into the utter mismanagement of this whole saga.

SCC have effectively bought half the City Centre then handed it over to a private company who have used the money saved on purchasing the land to build a rival project in a neighboring City.

The whole thing stinks to high heaven. If it wasn't in the contract that when the CPO went through Hammerson must commence work within a certain timeframe or the ownership would revert back to SCC then that's a failing on the Councils part and needs to be investigated. If there was a contractual timeframe for work to commence then surely Hammerson are in breach of contract?

How do we push for a Governmental Public Enquiry?

How do we push for a Governmental Public Enquiry?

I'm not sure but you could start by asking your MP to address a question regarding all this to whoever the minister for local affairs is. While this seems like a very throwaway action it isn't. When a minister is asked a question by a fellow member of the house they're obliged to answer it.

Gather all the info you can and email it to your local MP and ask him to raise the issue with Eric Pickles (I think he is the relevant person).

Just keep badgering. Clearly this needs to be looked at by some one from outside of SCC.