Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

I don't think there's even any 'may' (not happen) about it at this stage, regarding Sevenstone as it is in those plans.

Hammersons have SCC by the balls.

- Hammersons won't start any work, perhaps ever

- they own & control a large section of the city-centre

- nobody else is interested in buying it off them

- SCC can't afford to buy it back

Plus, SCC never drew up the contract correctly - to ensure that the work would be done, and be be done to time & expectation.

I think this is the key. Somebody, somewhere was responsible for giving the go-ahead for expensive works to be started with no meaningfull commitment from Hammersons. From that point on Hammerson were in control of 'negotiations', knowing full well SCC had cocked up and people would be scared of their positions.

All these years down the line and these people are still blagging the Sheffield people, and still enjoying a healthy salary despite delivering nothing, but costing us a lot of money both in terms of money spent, and money lost through a declining and crumbling city centre.

---------- Post added 22-04-2013 at 13:55 ----------

This has really got me angry now.

I emailed Toby Foster this morning to ask him to arrange an interview with Mothersole, Dore or Hammerson.

Good call. The least Mothersole should do is answer a few questions as the person ultimately responsible at SCC. Julie Dore will be a waste of time and Hammerson have no duty to the people of Sheffield.

Get Mothersole on!

Good call. The least Mothersole should do is answer a few questions as the person ultimately responsible at SCC.

Er, no. Council officers are merely employees; even he is.

Councillors- i.e. Council members- are the people who decide policy. That's why we elect them.

Er, no. Council officers are merely employees; even he is.

Councillors- i.e. Council members- are the people who decide policy. That's why we elect them.

This isnt an issue of policy.

Mothersole heads up the Council, employees of which have been dealing with this project.

He is the one quoted as saying he's involved in 'high level' negotiations, and 'crunch talks' with Hammerson. He's the one we need to hear from.

Edit- and as a moderator on here I would expect less of a confrontational tone in your posts.

Edited by lil-minx92

This isnt an issue of policy.

Mothersole heads up the Council, employees of which have been dealing with this project.

He is the one quoted as saying he's involved in 'high level' negotiations, and 'crunch talks' with Hammerson. He's the one we need to hear from.

Edit- and as a moderator on here I would expect less of a confrontational tone in your posts.

Mothersole is always eager for a photo opportunity with the local papers( along with Dore and Jack Scott) when the council have something to announce , but surprise, surprise has been very Quiet on this issue

I think this is the key. Somebody, somewhere was responsible for giving the go-ahead for expensive works to be started with no meaningfull commitment from Hammersons. From that point on Hammerson were in control of 'negotiations', knowing full well SCC had cocked up and people would be scared of their positions.

All these years down the line and these people are still blagging the Sheffield people, and still enjoying a healthy salary despite delivering nothing, but costing us a lot of money both in terms of money spent, and money lost through a declining and crumbling city centre.

---------- Post added 22-04-2013 at 13:55 ----------

Good call. The least Mothersole should do is answer a few questions as the person ultimately responsible at SCC. Julie Dore will be a waste of time and Hammerson have no duty to the people of Sheffield.

Get Mothersole on!

Does anyone on here know anything about the contractual arrangements, and would be willing to share some information, however censored that is?

As much as I like a rant, I prefer to do it with a bit of information first.

My gut feeling is that we may be at a point where the council could get rid of Hammersons but are choosing not to because they know that no one else wants to invest.

Does anyone on here know anything about the contractual arrangements, and would be willing to share some information, however censored that is?

As much as I like a rant, I prefer to do it with a bit of information first.

My gut feeling is that we may be at a point where the council could get rid of Hammersons but are choosing not to because they know that no one else wants to invest.

Neither do Hammerson. That is plain to see . Hammerson have the council by the short and curly`s . They own a load of property in the city , the council cant force them to sell it ,and Hammerson seem happy to let it sit empty until they can sell for a good profit. A company of Hammerson`s size can afford to sit on the properties they own in the city center and leave them empty.

Neither do Hammerson. That is plain to see . Hammerson have the council by the short and curly`s . They own a load of property in the city , the council cant force them to sell it ,and Hammerson seem happy to let it sit empty until they can sell for a good profit. A company of Hammerson`s size can afford to sit on the properties they own in the city center and leave them empty.

How do you know the council can't force them to sell it?

If it was a compulsory purchase agreement initially, why couldn't it be now?

It's possible the council compulsorily purchased the properties in a better market at a high price. They either still own them (but now they are worth maybe half) and so have lost a lot of money, or they signed them over to hammersons in which case hammerson have lost if they sell, so thry may as well sit on them and hope one day it pays to do the development. The thing is..who knows? - the council don't tell us anything. All we get out of them is that "talks are ongoing" and "hammersons will begin the development in X years time". Nobody has asked the right questions or SCC aren't answering the questions.

Edited by lil-minx92

It's possible the council compulsorily purchased the properties in a better market at a high price. They either still own them (but now they are worth maybe half) and so have lost a lot of money, or they signed them over to hammersons in which case they lost even more. The thing is..who knows? - the council don't tell us anything. All we get out of them is that "talks are ongoing" and "hammersons will begin the development in X years time". Nobody has asked the right questions or SCC aren't answering the questions.

Have a look at the link below list Hamersons future developments Sevenstones is still listed to start 2014

will cost £285 million and earn an estimated annual income of £24million

.http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=133289&p=prop-developments

Edited by bazjea