Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

Worse than that, he's the labourite planning to borrow £30 mil against future rates and further indebt the city just to keep this fantasy of a mini-meadowhall with no parking on the table.

When this reckless gamble fails make the council personally liable for the debt rather than the rest of us would be my suggestion.

Im glad someone has pulled this out. When i first read it i was horrified. Now i feel just despair.

Im glad someone has pulled this out. When i first read it i was horrified. Now i feel just despair.

Its Embarrassing seeing sheffield council on their kness begging Hammerson and using 30M of tax payers money to try and get them to come back to Sheffield.

Don't worry folks. Julie is confident that talks on sevenstone will conclude 'soon'

Anybody want to hazard a guess how long soon might be? I'll go for two years

When did she say this? The Star reported in January-

Mr Mothersole added that the council and Hammerson are involved in ‘sensitive high level negotiations which we aim to come to a conclusion very quickly’ so the project can begin.

The Star understands a decision on when work will begin is to be made in the next few weeks.

I bet Hammerson dont even return SCC's phonecalls anymore! Too busy working on the Leeds project.

The council have begged Hammerson to start Sevenstone and that failed . Their desperation is embarrassing .When will they get the message that Hammerson have long since lost interest in Sheffield .

Can you give substantiated proof of your statement, or is it just guess work and making things up as usual?

Edited by bazjea

Can you give substantiated proof of your statement, or is it just guess work and making things up as usual?

It's complete guesswork, he does it pretty much all the time.

He is however, almost certainly right.

When the council have resorted to using £30M of future tax money to try and tempt Hammerson to start building ,then i would say that is desperation wouldnt you. ?

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/kick-hammerson-off-sevenstone-project-1-5606546

Mr Clegg said the Government has provided Sheffield Council with ‘significant’ help by allowing it to use £30 million of future tax receipts towards funding Sevenstone - and that progress is ‘vital’.

It's complete guesswork, he does it pretty much all the time.

He is however, almost certainly right.

I am aware of that have tried in vain in the past to get answers to questions from him

He may probably be right but who knows though, without an official

statement

Received an email today from the chief executive which has answered some of my questions, the long and short of it is that Hammerson are still on board, the dates on their web site is for major works to begin although other works such as re-routing services and demolition could occur sooner. As updates become available they will let us know via the media and their own website, I don't like it though as the Star has a tendency sometimes of trying to paint the gloomiest of pictures and obviously rarely gives a complete and accurate record of what is happening. I never knew for example the £30 million is earmarked for the public realm such as highways around the scheme.

I don't consider my email to of been a waste of time as if there are enough of them then it's not likely that the council will become lacksidaisiacal in keeping us informed.

Received an email today from the chief executive which has answered some of my questions, the long and short of it is that Hammerson are still on board, the dates on their web site is for major works to begin although other works such as re-routing services and demolition could occur sooner. As updates become available they will let us know via the media and their own website, I don't like it though as the Star has a tendency sometimes of trying to paint the gloomiest of pictures and obviously rarely gives a complete and accurate record of what is happening. I never knew for example the £30 million is earmarked for the public realm such as highways around the scheme.

I don't consider my email to of been a waste of time as if there are enough of them then it's not likely that the council will become lacksidaisiacal in keeping us informed.

Could you share the exact email contents with us, your details redacted of course but mothersole works for us on a handsome wage so it would nice to see exactly what he's saying at the moment regarding sevenstone.

cheers

Andy