Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

so is he confirming that they are going to start work this year, 2014 or 2015, im sorry but it all sounds VERY vague to me and the standard fob off message that actually answers nothing!!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

---------- Post added 26-04-2013 at 11:23 ----------

Received an email today from the chief executive which has answered some of my questions, the long and short of it is that Hammerson are still on board, the dates on their web site is for major works to begin although other works such as re-routing services and demolition could occur sooner. As updates become available they will let us know via the media and their own website, I don't like it though as the Star has a tendency sometimes of trying to paint the gloomiest of pictures and obviously rarely gives a complete and accurate record of what is happening. I never knew for example the £30 million is earmarked for the public realm such as highways around the scheme.

I don't consider my email to of been a waste of time as if there are enough of them then it's not likely that the council will become lacksidaisiacal in keeping us informed.

I would send another e-mail asking if there is actually a contract with hammerstone and if so what dates are tyey supposed to be starting/finishing certain parts of the project and are there any penalty clauses in the contract.....if there is one...if they over run!!, IF you get an answer to that then it will nail it once and for all!!

I'd prefer not to share the email fully as like most other council emails there is a little bit at the end asking that it not be shared as it's solely for my info. However they did helpfully give me this guy

ronald.rees@sheffield.gov.uk

He apparently is the inhouse sevenstone director and should be able to answer any queries. So I'm going to let some-one else pick up the baton but assume they'll get much the same sort of info as I'vve recieved which unfortunately means that at this immediate moment things are rather vague with no definite dates

Received an email today from the chief executive which has answered some of my questions, the long and short of it is that Hammerson are still on board, the dates on their web site is for major works to begin although other works such as re-routing services and demolition could occur sooner. As updates become available they will let us know via the media and their own website, I don't like it though as the Star has a tendency sometimes of trying to paint the gloomiest of pictures and obviously rarely gives a complete and accurate record of what is happening. I never knew for example the £30 million is earmarked for the public realm such as highways around the scheme.

I don't consider my email to of been a waste of time as if there are enough of them then it's not likely that the council will become lacksidaisiacal in keeping us informed.

Seems strange that this statement confirms works WILL begin at X date, but no announcement has been made by SCC stating this.

I wonder what Hammerson would say if asked the date they have commited to starting major (or any) works?

---------- Post added 26-04-2013 at 15:21 ----------

I'd prefer not to share the email fully as like most other council emails there is a little bit at the end asking that it not be shared as it's solely for my info. However they did helpfully give me this guy

He apparently is the inhouse sevenstone director and should be able to answer any queries. So I'm going to let some-one else pick up the baton but assume they'll get much the same sort of info as I'vve recieved which unfortunately means that at this immediate moment things are rather vague with no definite dates

Oh no! Wallbuilder is now on board in the conspiracy! :hihi:

Not belong before one of the rumour mongers will come on with their inside

knowledge and stupid remarks. I had also read that the £30 million was towards public schemes.

Not belong before one of the rumour mongers will come on with their inside

knowledge and stupid remarks. I had also read that the £30 million was towards public schemes.

It doesnt really matter what its for. Its £30m that the tax payer now stumps up instead of the developer. It isnt for £30m worth of public schemes that werent included in the development before. Its to reduce the developers risk to sweeten the deal for them.

If it's not a sweetener, then there is no reason why it can't be started straight away.....is there?

Are you suggesting that the £30m should be spent on demolition? That'd be a great reason to borrow money! I'd rather learn from Bradford's mistake.

As Leigh Bramall said on Radio Sheffield earlier this week, Hammersons will be in a position within the next few weeks to say one way or another what their intentions are. It seems a sensible strategy to wait for something definite before committing any more public money to Sevenstone.

Are you suggesting that the £30m should be spent on demolition? That'd be a great reason to borrow money! I'd rather learn from Bradford's mistake.

As Leigh Bramall said on Radio Sheffield earlier this week, Hammersons will be in a position within the next few weeks to say one way or another what their intentions are. It seems a sensible strategy to wait for something definite before committing any more public money to Sevenstone.

I didnt hear that radio show.

Is that what Leigh Bramall said? That there will be an announcement in the next few weeks?

If it'd good enough for you as a taxpayer it's good enough for us all as taxpayerers. Let's see the email. And the bit about it being confidential. Seems like a bit of a dodge is going on to me.