Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

The Gateshead development is the ugliest building ever conceived though, and if you look at the shops is basically a giant tesco, greggs, poundland, sports direct and cash convertors covered in ugly grey plastic student blocks. Is that what Sheffield should aspire to?

The Gateshead development is the ugliest building ever conceived though, and if you look at the shops is basically a giant tesco, greggs, poundland, sports direct and cash convertors covered in ugly grey plastic student blocks. Is that what Sheffield should aspire to?

It isnt what that development looks like, the point is other cities are getting developments off the ground and completed while Sheffield cant manage it and continues to fall further behind .

It isnt what that development looks like, the point is other cities are getting developments off the ground and completed while Sheffield cant manage it and continues to fall further behind .

I assume from your comment above that you've not actually been in the city centre for a bit, the new market hall with shops fronting on to the Moor is coming on plus the public realm is improving with Tudor square and top end of Arundel street being two of the latest area's to recieve a make-over. Scottish Widows are revamping other sections of the moor and there are plans afoot to do a lot more in that area so things are happening. I take it I'm still about the only person on the forum too of approached the city council/management to ask questions rather than just coming on here and moaning with no real info or knowledge

I assume from your comment above that you've not actually been in the city centre for a bit, the new market hall with shops fronting on to the Moor is coming on plus the public realm is improving with Tudor square and top end of Arundel street being two of the latest area's to recieve a make-over. Scottish Widows are revamping other sections of the moor and there are plans afoot to do a lot more in that area so things are happening. I take it I'm still about the only person on the forum too of approached the city council/management to ask questions rather than just coming on here and moaning with no real info or knowledge

I agree with you,re the the work that is happening on the Moor area

There are posters on here who moan for moaning sake and never seem to be able to give any real links to back up lots of their posts

You are not alone in approaching the council I have done so over a good number of years with queries regarding the services in the City.

Am waiting a reply about Sevenstones at the moment

I agree with you,re the the work that is happening on the Moor area

There are posters on here who moan for moaning sake and never seem to be able to give any real links to back up lots of their posts

You are not alone in approaching the council I have done so over a good number of years with queries regarding the services in the City.

Am waiting a reply about Sevenstones at the moment

:hihi:

Good luck with getting a meaningful response.

I agree with previous poster- there are some lovely areas of the city centre as I've stated before. My gripe is with the seemingly incompetent project management of the Sevenstone development at SCC and the fact they wont be open, honest and clear with the people of the city as to WTF is happening. We just get the odd quote here and the odd comment there, always the same line about crunch talks and expect a definitive answer in a few weeks. People who take the time to approach them directly get exactly the same as Wallbuilder found out.

The courtesy of SCC simply saying 'we dont know what is happening, we are waiting for Hammerson to tell us what is going to happen but we dont know when they will tell us this" would be most welcome.

Edited by lil-minx92

The moor has a very long & tough journey to convince people that its now an attractive place to shop. Giving the moor a bit of paving & a lick of paint is just tantamount to rolling a turd in glitter.

Granted there is a fantastic new market being built but you have to remember that a tiny fraction of people used the old one. So hopefully it will be managed with a new business model in mind. Just moving the old one into the new one will not be overly appealing.

Its progress but not enough. We need to be ahead of the game not catching up so we cannot be held to ransom by scottish widows or hammersons.

We need a council with balls Because at the moment they seem to be agreeing with the develpers that sheffield isnt financially viable or we wouldnt be offering them a £30m of council tax payers money as a sweetener.

I was talking about the Sevenstone farce .

:hihi:

Good luck with getting a meaningful response.

I agree with previous poster- there are some lovely areas of the city centre as I've stated before. My gripe is with the seemingly incompetent project management of the Sevenstone development at SCC and the fact they wont be open, honest and clear with the people of the city as to WTF is happening. We just get the odd quote here and the odd comment there, always the same line about crunch talks and expect a definitive answer in a few weeks. People who take the time to approach them directly get exactly the same as Wallbuilder found out.

The courtesy of SCC simply saying 'we dont know what is happening, we are waiting for Hammerson to tell us what is going to happen but we dont know when they will tell us this" would be most welcome.

Surely the more people who actually contact the relevant departments ref Sevenstone development the more likely we would get some information.

The relevant departments and names of the persons involved are all available on line, complete with email addresses. So why not have a go , if you do not get a reply you could then post with some proof of what is or not happening

in the depths of the Town Hall

Edited by bazjea

The last time i wasted time & effort going to see some one from the Council about the Moor this is what happened :-

1. Meeting with partner & Paul Scriven - then leader of the council - to discuss the deterioration of the city centre, particularly down near the Moor where our business is located.

2. Scriven proudly strokes his ego and tells us he is going up to Scotland to see Scottish Widows and sort it out!

3. Scriven came back from Scotland after signing an extra 100 year lease for Scottish Widows so the council could get the land back for the markets.

Id suggest that signature cost the people of Sheffield's grandchildren tens of millions in rent.

Im still in despair that not enough people shouted "Foul."

Surely the more people who actually contact the relevant departments ref Sevenstone development the more likely we would get some information.

The relevant departments and names of the persons involved are all available on line, complete with email addresses. So why not have a go , if you do not get a reply you could then post with some proof of what is or not happening

in the depths of the Town Hall

The correct questions have been asked. I dont see how individuals asking them again and again will result in a different answer. As suggested earlier in the thread we need the local media involved. Somebody who is prepared to do a Jeremy Paxman on Mothersole and get some proper answers, and not be brushed aside with wishy washy non-answers.