Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

The developers, as quoted in that Sheffield Telegraph report, make a number of spurious claims:-

They claim the councillors on the planning comittee are merely expressing their personal tastes in rejecting the designs. In fact the preservation of historic buildings in the New Retail Quarter was an election promise made by the Lib Dems, the councillors are making good that promise.

The developers claim that the New Retail Quarter is needed to launch Sheffield into the future. In fact the slash and burn philosophy of urban development in which whole areas are cleared and replaced by an Arndale Centre belongs firmly in the 1960s.

Finally, the claim that the public is behind the developers is patently rubbish. Everybody wants regeneration in the City Centre, but I hear no clamour for another set of joyless repetative boxes. What I hear is the voices of people bemoaning the loss of yet more of our elegent historic buildings.

Full marks to the council for standing up to the wreckers.

Personally I'm impressed by a council that seems to have high standards architecturally

Is this council interest in architecture a new thing, it didn't seem to be evident when they built that vile lump to replace the egg-box or most of the apartments on West Street.

Is this council interest in architecture a new thing, it didn't seem to be evident when they built that vile lump to replace the egg-box or most of the apartments on West Street.

Yes. The interest in architecture began when the Lib Dems took control of the Council and hence of the Planning Committee. Prior to that Labour had a majority. Old Labour considered architecture to be a pointless bourgeois indulgence. New Labour considered it to be of no value compared to the importance of money. New Labour or Old Labour, it amounted to the same thing as far as the city's heritage was concerned.

Except for that planning bloke who recommended that the council accept the unplanned, cheapo changes made by the builders of that tower on Arundel Gate. Not a good sign.

When I'm talking about the council I'm usually referring to the elected representatives rather than the council officers/planners who always seem to pander to the whims of developers rather than the people who pay their wages ie; the people of Sheffield.

The same happened when they were showing the plans to build that hotel between the Peace Garden and the Winter Garden. Everyone I spoke to or overheard was saying it was a terrible idea but the Council announced overwhelming support of blocking off all views of one of the most visually pleasing buildings in Sheffield.

I was there and remember it well. Even before building work started there was overwhelming opinion that the Winter Gardens and hotel should change position or the hotel should be built on a different site altogether. But again democracy got kicked to one side and look at the complete disproportionate mess that site has since become.

The developers, as quoted in that Sheffield Telegraph report, make a number of spurious claims:-

They claim the councillors on the planning comittee are merely expressing their person tastes in rejecting the designs. In fact the preservation of historic building in the New Retail Quarter was an election promise made by the Lib Dems, the councillors are making good that promise.

The developers claim that the New Retail Quarter is needed to launch Sheffield into the future. In fact the slash and burn philosophy of urban development in which whole areas are cleared and replaced by an arndale centre belongs firmly in the 1960s.

Finally the claim that the public is behind the developers is patently rubbish. Everybody wants regeneration in the City Centre, but I hear no clamour for another set of joyless repetative boxes. What I hear is the voices of people bemoaning the loss of yet more of our elegent historic buildings.

Full marks to the council for standing up to the wreckers.

Absolutely second every word of this post! Well said!:thumbsup:

:confused: I don't know where you've been nick but in case you hadn't noticed that was a different council to the one we have today.

I think the term is; 'it's been delayed due to the economic climate.'

This is obviously an excuse to either;

1/Pull out of the scheme altogether and blame the council, using them as a scapegoat rather than accepting that if they do have to cancel the scheme then it's due to the economic climate and nothing else.

or

2/Hammerson see the present economic climate as a good opportunity to cut costs in the scheme further so we end up with an even bigger featureless mess than their developments in Manchester and Birmingham.

I think 2 is the most likely.

Just what I thought on reading this in the Telegraph - I think you are right and they win either way. Council stuck between a SevenStone and a hard place.

:confused: I don't know where you've been nick but in case you hadn't noticed that was a different council to the one we have today.

I didn't notice the change, everything is still run by complete idiots as far as I can see.