Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

We all know that the end of the month will come and go, there will be a deafening silence on the subject for a couple of months, and then the council will say that they are in intensive negotiations with Hammerson and hope to be able to say more soon.

I hope I'm wrong, but we'll see. I somehow doubt we'll see a headline on the 1st of June saying that Hammersons have been chucked off the project.

Spot on............ we have heard all this before from the council. the bottom line is Hammerson have the council just where they want them .

If the news is bad I'd imagine that it may take a short time for the council to decide on a new plan of action, however as I've sent a few emails to the Chief executives office I'd imagine that they will give some sort of update. The only problem with them using the Star to report is that will more than likely be slanted to make out that it's yet more doom and gloom for Sheffield with council officers who are clearly useless. I wouldn't mind so much if the Star did some real journalism and gave a fair and valanced view but this rarely happens

If the news is bad I'd imagine that it may take a short time for the council to decide on a new plan of action, however as I've sent a few emails to the Chief executives office I'd imagine that they will give some sort of update. The only problem with them using the Star to report is that will more than likely be slanted to make out that it's yet more doom and gloom for Sheffield with council officers who are clearly useless. I wouldn't mind so much if the Star did some real journalism and gave a fair and valanced view but this rarely happens

I've not really noticed The Star going either way on this topic. If anything they appear to have done very little hounding of SCC to try and get some straight answers. They just seem to report whatever press release the council gives them. I have just assumed the editor doesnt want to rattle anybodies cage at the council.

I would also think that the council have had long enough to come up with a Plan B! If not they sure wont come up with it in 'a short time'.

Any delay in an announcement might be down to Mothersole et al making sure their pension plans and golden goodbye's are all in order before they get the calls to step down!

Edited by lil-minx92

The Star does have a tendency to come across with a rather negative view of many council plans, I seem to remember the articles about the new market hold up being less than nice and the rather rapid response to what was initially a slow pick up of units being taken up.

This forum to has a few outspoken, loud but decidely ill-informed users who call council officers names or insinuate they can't do their jobs without having the vaguest notion of how planning and design works. For example I've actually met John Mothersole and heard him in a few meetings and he's not an idiot or only in it for the money, he came up through the ranks so to speak and so knows what he is talking about, I've also found his office quite helpful if people can be bothered to actually contact them