Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

They want to demolish that building (who called it a pepperpot first honnestly?), whose idea is it so I can shoot them.

Several things concern me with thes eplans (Sevething's PDF):

- Why are they doing any of this?

- Cole Brothers lives on Cambridge Street, not two blocks away.

- Why is that street at an angle and not pulling out of Barker's Pool

- Why is this more modern architecture that'll be demolished in ten years time when people have grown so weary of it the Council will apologise and pull it down?

• 2 months later...

So what's the chances of this still going ahead? John Lewis have gone off the boil, who in their right mind would invest in this, now or in the near future?

Cambridge Street and part of Pinstone Street are now devoid of trading outlets, Sheffield City Centre is dying on it's feet, sad isn't it? :(

Cambridge Street and part of Pinstone Street are now devoid of trading outlets, Sheffield City Centre is dying on it's feet, sad isn't it? :(

What claptrap!

The units are empty because of Sevenstone!

Many of them are awaiting demolition.

Unfortunately the economic climate has slowed this down BUT it will happen and i'm sure it will be fantastic.

I hope we don't get a Selfridges, Prada etc cos i'll be skint with them on the doorstep! :hihi:

What claptrap!

The units are empty because of Sevenstone!

Many of them are awaiting demolition.

Unfortunately the economic climate has slowed this down BUT it will happen and i'm sure it will be fantastic.

I hope we don't get a Selfridges, Prada etc cos i'll be skint with them on the doorstep! :hihi:

Ey Up, the fountain of all knowledge hath appeared. ;) Of course the closed shops are a result of the Sevenstone project, I didn't think that I had to spell it out, claptrap indeed! :(

IMHO there is more chance of John Lewis closing than Sevenstone opening. By the time this recession has run it's course it will be a case of 'counting our dead'. Top retailers stick together, strength in numbers is the name of the game, all that Sheffield has to offer them is a dream, they haven't got to where they are by backing dreams in times of recession.

A little off topic but I recently counted 10 empty retail units on Ecclesall Road between Hunters Bar roundabout and the Wards Brewery building. If traders on Ecclesall Road are finding the going tough Sevenstone hasn't got a chance. We are too late, all the other larger cities have been up and running for years with their retail quarters, and the recession coming when it did has delivered a fatal blow to the project (IMHO).

I sincerely hope that I am wrong but Sheffield has a track record of shop closures, and other than for Meadowhall what have we done retail wise in the past 30 years?

Ey Up, the fountain of all knowledge hath appeared. ;) Of course the closed shops are a result of the Sevenstone project, I didn't think that I had to spell it out, claptrap indeed! :(

IMHO there is more chance of John Lewis closing than Sevenstone opening. By the time this recession has run it's course it will be a case of 'counting our dead'. Top retailers stick together, strength in numbers is the name of the game, all that Sheffield has to offer them is a dream, they haven't got to where they are by backing dreams in times of recession.

A little off topic but I recently counted 10 empty retail units on Ecclesall Road between Hunters Bar roundabout and the Wards Brewery building. If traders on Ecclesall Road are finding the going tough Sevenstone hasn't got a chance. We are too late, all the other larger cities have been up and running for years with their retail quarters, and the recession coming when it did has delivered a fatal blow to the project (IMHO).

I sincerely hope that I am wrong but Sheffield has a track record of shop closures, and other than for Meadowhall what have we done retail wise in the past 30 years?

The recession should have almost run it's course by the time Sevenstone begins.

I reckon by the middle of 2010 the economy will be showing some serious signs of recovery.

The recession should have almost run it's course by the time Sevenstone begins.

I reckon by the middle of 2010 the economy will be showing some serious signs of recovery.

I didn't think that Gordon Brown was a S/F member. ;)

The recession running it's course and Sheffield City Centre getting it's act together are two completely different issues. I can remember the Sheffield of the 1950's following the blitz, what Hitler did to our fair city is nothing compared to what successive administrations have done to it.

In the clear light of day, when the council of the day's target retailers have a walk around this s**t tip that purports to be a city centre, they just might have second thoughts. :o

where does the name 'sevenstone' come from?

Just a guess, but I think it is utilising the fact that Sheffield is said to be built on seven hills. There are seven main shopping blocks in Sevenstone, so perhaps it is the city equivalent of seven hills...seven concrete monstrosities...

• 1 month later...

I'm a final year student at Sheffield University and am writing my dissertation on the current patterns in retailing in the UK with reference to the upcoming Sevenstone development in the city centre of Sheffield. I am focusing on this new mall typology which includes exterior public spaces which link the scheme with the existing street pattern and 'iconic' architecture for the anchor stores. I wish to gauge public opinion from the residents of Sheffield on Sevenstone and whether you think it will be a success in increasing footfall into the city centre. Do you believe that the new scheme will bring life and individuality back to the centre or are you of the opinion that it will be another 'soul-less shopping mall' similar to existing examples in other large UK cities? If anyone has visited The Bullring in Birmingham, or Highcross in Leicester what is your opinion on the overall scheme?

I am also researching the shoppers experience in new city centre retail schemes in comparison to out of town ‘megamalls’ such as Meadowhall. When Sevenstone opens, do you think you will be drawn back into the city centre to shop? Do you choose convenience over experience when choosing a destination?

I would appreciate any opinions on this subject,

Thankyou