Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

I can't think of any shops I'd associate with a city centre in Sheffield city centre. :hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 30-05-2013 at 16:26 ----------

Well OK, I exaggerate. But I certainly have never considered the Wicker to be part of the city centre. And surely with the bus gate restrictions along it, the number of people who would venture along it to find somewhere to park is surely not that great.

Put it this way metalman - if the council are advertising car parks at the Wicker as being suitable for city centre visitors/shoppers then there will be alot of disgruntled people.

Do the council advertise these car parks as being suitable for city centre shopping or are they just car parks in the city centre, okay maybe not a 50 yard shuffle from the town hall but still in what I'd consider to be part of the centre. I'd imagine that if you were shopping in the market or wanted to have a wander down by the canal basin then those car parks are in a reasonably good location. Or how about if you wanted to spend some time sitting in the public gallery of the courts or wanted to browse the Space centre shop

... the Wicker

... The Wicker

... the Wicker

I'm being a pedant here I know, but it's just "Wicker", not "THE Wicker". It just doesn't sound very Sheffield if you stick a "the" on the front of it . :)

"Crookes" is the same. Any others?

You will find the on and off street parking tariffs on downloads available at the bottom of this page: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/travel/driving/parking/centre.html

Car parks with a £2 all day rate are:

Ebenezer Street

Stanley Street

Trinity Street

Wicker Lane

Willey Street

It's also £3 all day in:

Copper Street

Silver Street

Gosh planner1, that sounds amazing, there must be shedloads of cheap all-day parking in the city centre, based on your post.

Well, actually, looking on Google, I make the number of spaces in each of the above car parks as:

Ebenezer St 10

Stanley St 126

Trinity Street 12

Wicker Lane 16

Willey Street 34

Copper St 24

Silver St 12

A total of 234 spaces.

All of them on the north side of the city.

All of them, I don't doubt, filled by well before 08:00 Monday to Friday.

So absolutely no use at all to the vast majority of people.

With such generous provision, the economic well-being of the city is assured.

Alternatively, if you're going to try to pull the wool over our eyes planner1 as to how good* the city centre is, try harder. Much, much harder. You are fooling no one with pathetic half-tales such as the one you've trotted out above.

* totally rubbish

The Council have in fact recently reviewed all of the tariffs for their city centre parking. Many of them have been reduced and some of these are massive reductions. You can now park all day for £2 in certain car parks, which is less than a third of the £7+ it was before.

The problem with these cheap car parks is that they are so tiny that there's no way that you could guarantee there being a free space. If anyone were to try and park in one and found it full, it's really difficult to navigate to the next. You could spend an awfully long time searching for a free bay. It hardly seems worth the potential waste in time, so it's either better to pay more in a larger car park or head to an out-of-town retail destination.

I'm not sure how many car parking spaces there are in the city centre, but I'm sure it's way below that of Meadowhall's 12,000.

12,000 car parking spaces are the equivalent of 23 "cheese grater" car parks. There certainly aren't 23 large multi-storeys in the city centre.

I was very disappointed to see that there was a line in the proposed Masterplan that (to paraphrase) said there were to be no provisions made for more car parks (other than the Sevenstone car park).

At the very least I'd like to have seen a couple more larger car parks built around the edge of the IRR, close to where people arrive into Sheffield. One near the end of the parkway would be useful.

How about a massive new car park on the site of the Royal Mail's "Sheffield Central Delivery Office" between Pond Street, Pond Hill and Ponds Forge? It'd be pretty easy to create multiple entrances from the IRR and could be connected to Arundel Gate with a bridge. You could get straight into the heart of the city really quickly from it.

Edited by RobWilson

How about a massive new car park on the site of the Royal Mail's "Sheffield Central Delivery Office" between Pond Street, Pond Hill and Ponds Forge? It'd be pretty easy to create multiple entrances from the IRR and could be connected to Arundel Gate with a bridge. You could get straight into the heart of the city really quickly from it.

I'm sorry but now you're just talking way too much sense. :hihi:

The problem with these cheap car parks is that they are so tiny that there's no way that you could guarantee there being a free space. If anyone were to try and park in one and found it full, it's really difficult to navigate to the next. You could spend an awfully long time searching for a free bay. It hardly seems worth the potential waste in time, so it's either better to pay more in a larger car park or head to an out-of-town retail destination.

I'm not sure how many car parking spaces there are in the city centre, but I'm sure it's way below that of Meadowhall's 12,000.

12,000 car parking spaces are the equivalent of 23 "cheese grater" car parks. There certainly aren't 23 large multi-storeys in the city centre.

I was very disappointed to see that there was a line in the proposed Masterplan that (to paraphrase) said there were to be no provisions made for more car parks (other than the Sevenstone car park).

At the very least I'd like to have seen a couple more larger car parks built around the edge of the IRR, close to where people arrive into Sheffield. One near the end of the parkway would be useful.

Let me sum up SCC's reaction to that eminently sensible suggestion for you:

CARS ARE THE EVIL SPAWN OF SATAN, EVERYONE SHOULD USE THE BUS OR TRAM.

I'm sorry but now you're just talking way too much sense. :hihi:

I'm also realistic in saying that such a car park wouldn't be free. How could it be? It would be terribly expensive to build and would need to be paid for somehow. Not all Sheffield council tax payers are car users, so it would hardly be fair on them to build it solely with council tax money - besides which, there's hardly any spare cash sloshing around, is there?

That said, if it were council backed it could look to claw back its costs over a longer period than the private car parks do. Its rates could be "reasonable".

Taking the size of the plot into account, this car park could be 1,200 - 1,500 spaces. That's still quite a small when compared to Meadowhall, but could make a difference.

Meadowhall's ratio of 12,000 car parking spaces to 280 shops seems to work for them, even though they have a rail terminal right next to the centre as well as a tram stop. Sheffield city centre's parking provision seems relatively small, and is therefore uncompetative and expensive.