Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

Has anybody actually been on Wicker since they made driving into it a puzzle with a penalty fine for failure?

Intelligent people have.

There is no hard and fast boundary defining the city centre. The point is, we are talking about city centre shopping and the Wicker is not city centre shopping.

"There is no hard and fast boundary defining the city centre".

She then goes and makes one up to support her own argument.

Intelligent people have.

"There is no hard and fast boundary defining the city centre".

She then goes and makes one up to support her own argument.

I don't want to see an expansion of the city centre with more of the same shops. I want to see the old city centre fill every vacant property first and make sure they offer the widest possible range of products and services with proper transport access.

Has anybody actually been on Wicker since they made driving into it a puzzle with a penalty fine for failure?

The Wicker has been almost completely taken over by immigrants, so many take-aways and resteurants serving the nearby Pitsmoor area.

So no one can name any high street big name retailers, past or present, that have ever been located on the Wicker, which is a predominantly a shopping street supposedly located in our city centre?

Do they have to be big high street names to be in a city centre? Many places have independent shops within their city centres, including Sheffield :)

The Wicker has been almost completely taken over by immigrants, so many take-aways and resteurants serving the nearby Pitsmoor area.
It's waaaay better now than it was 15-20 years ago when it was a few rough & crummy pubs and an army stores.

Do they have to be big high street names to be in a city centre? Many places have independent shops within their city centres, including Sheffield :)

We need something like the Leeds Corn Exchange!

Unfortunately, Sheffield had the ass bombed out of it in the war so alot of historical buildings were flattened.

So i guess we can blame the Germans for us not having an ideal location for independent shopping.

No they don't - Devonshire Street/Devonshire Quarter is a prime example in Sheffields real city centre, however even this area of smaller boutique type shops has well known high street shops.

The Wicker has been put forward as supposedly city centre and accordingly as a predominantly shopping street I would have expected some major stores to have been located there over the years. I can not recall this being the case.

No they don't - Devonshire Street/Devonshire Quarter is a prime example in Sheffields real city centre, however even this area of smaller boutique type shops has well known high street shops.

The Wicker has been put forward as supposedly city centre and accordingly as a predominantly shopping street I would have expected some major stores to have been located there over the years. I can not recall this being the case.

Of course Sheffield has independent shops, you just need to open your eyes and look.

So, if a street does not or hasn't had a major store, it rules it out as being a city centre shopping area?

Maybe the Wicker never got major store development as those stores were already on The Moor or Fargate or nearer the centre of the city centre. I mean after all how many Boots do we need in the centre for example. I used to frequent the Wicker for two shops in particular the Space centre and Quadraphenia plus of course the 24 hour chemist and a fairly good carpet shop.