Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

Of course Sheffield has independent shops, you just need to open your eyes and look.

So, if a street does not or hasn't had a major store, it rules it out as being a city centre shopping area?

I'm sat in an independent shop at the moment, thanks very much.:)

I'll reiterate what I said in the previous post:

No they don't - Devonshire Street/Devonshire Quarter is a prime example in Sheffields real city centre, however even this area of smaller boutique type shops has well known high street shops.

The Wicker has been put forward as supposedly city centre and accordingly as a predominantly shopping street I would have expected some major stores to have been located there over the years. I can not recall this being the case.

I can not think of any streets in the real city centre that in the last 30 years have not had a major retailer on it, unlike the Wicker.

I've just consulted my retail experts (the wife, three daughters), who in the last 12 months will probably have been in every shop in the city centre (bar the dodgy one on Division Street), and their not having the Wicker as part of the city centre. Sorted.:)

I'm sat in an independent shop at the moment, thanks very much.:)

I'll reiterate what I said in the previous post:

No they don't - Devonshire Street/Devonshire Quarter is a prime example in Sheffields real city centre, however even this area of smaller boutique type shops has well known high street shops.

The Wicker has been put forward as supposedly city centre and accordingly as a predominantly shopping street I would have expected some major stores to have been located there over the years. I can not recall this being the case.

I can not think of any streets in the real city centre that in the last 30 years have not had a major retailer on it, unlike the Wicker.

I've just consulted my retail experts (the wife, three daughters), who in the last 12 months will probably have been in every shop in the city centre (bar the dodgy one on Division Street), and their not having the Wicker as part of the city centre. Sorted.:)

What's the 'real city centre'?

As I said, just cos a street has never had a major store on it, it doesn't rule it out from being 'real city centre'.

What's the 'real city centre'?

As I said, just cos a street has never had a major store on it, it doesn't rule it out from being 'real city centre'.

To me the real city centre is Fargate, Church/High Street, Barkers Pool and it used to be the Moor.

I've never heard anyone class the Wicker as city centre until yesterday.

To me the real city centre is Fargate, Church/High Street, Barkers Pool and it used to be the Moor.

I've never heard anyone class the Wicker as city centre until yesterday.

Me neither, but I would imagine anything within the inner ring road could be classed as the centre :)

Has anybody actually been on Wicker since they made driving into it a puzzle with a penalty fine for failure?

I avoid it ............... i dont have the time or the will to take part in the councils "city center driving maze" game.

i tried to drivr down to the wicker 3 months ago to take missus to pharmacy, omg what a joke, its a maze down there and so car unfriendly and so easy to get a ticket dtiving through a bus gate its a joke.

im sure that council did that deliberatly to maximise revenue because it makes no sence at all!!!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

People tend to find any change in road layout a tad confusing if they've not been there since the changes took effect. I know I almost got in to trouble approaching the Wicker many years ago from the arches, I was in the habit of taking the first right and was actually half way through turning beforre I noticed a no entry sign. I never made that mistake again though and so still found my journey fairly straight forward.

i tried to drivr down to the wicker 3 months ago to take missus to pharmacy, omg what a joke, its a maze down there and so car unfriendly and so easy to get a ticket dtiving through a bus gate its a joke.

im sure that council did that deliberatly to maximise revenue because it makes no sence at all!!!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I wonder if anyone has ever figured out a way to get to the shops on the Wicker when approaching the Wicker Arches from Attercliffe Road. As hard as i try i cannot think of how you can do it.

I wonder if anyone has ever figured out a way to get to the shops on the Wicker when approaching the Wicker Arches from Attercliffe Road. As hard as i try i cannot think of how you can do it.

From Attercliffe Rd do not go under the Wicker arches or you have already lost. Bare right on the A6109 just past Tesco and stay in the left hand lane. Turn right onto the A61 Derek Dooley Way (keeping in the left lane). After the first set of traffic lights turn left onto Nursery St and left again onto Spitalfields (Harlequin pub on you're right as you go onto Spitalfields). Continue all the way down and the road changes to Stanley St, once at the end, you are at the Wicker. I park my car around here for work and cannot think of another (quicker way)

I guess you could always go under the Wicker arches and go onto D Dooley Way towards the parkway, loop around and come back down D Dooley Way and turn left onto the Wicker (you can do this as this is the way i come each morning).

Sorry it's long winded but that's the route.