Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

I think that it's been clear for a long time that until the retail sector shows signs of serious improvement and or the cost of borrowing comes down for the developers, this project isn't getting built.
Which, given how online shopping is ripping the High Street to pieces, means it's never going to get built.

It's way past time SCC woke up and smelled the coffee. Time, in fact, to come up with a new, realistic and achievable plan for the city centre, rooted in the reality of the early 21st century and not the late 20th.

Ron rang me because I'm persistent and as he'd just come back from a break he did say that he'd recieved quite a lot of queries which he was going to start responding to. I asked him who owned the buildings as it has been commented on several times that Hammerson owned the lot and so had some sort of hold over the council which now has been clarified although I didn't ask for numbers and who owned what. If Hammerson do commit then some demolition work could start possibly the area's of archaeological interest I would imagine which are mostly up behind the old red brick fire station, early metal working apparently.

Which, given how online shopping is ripping the High Street to pieces, means it's never going to get built.

It's way past time SCC woke up and smelled the coffee. Time, in fact, to come up with a new, realistic and achievable plan for the city centre, rooted in the reality of the early 21st century and not the late 20th.

Exactly, even if the economy was in a much better state a hugely expensive mini-meadowhall with no parking would not be a good plan.

We need innovation and it would be great if SCC admitted they are not up to the job and invited all citizens to have an input into a new plan that might actually work.

Hi, I've got some info although you're not going to like it. I recieved a call from Ronald Ree's who works for the council and is the director for sevenstone and it's development. He's not happy as hammerson have still not committed, obviously from their view point it's got to provide a good financial return for them and they don't seem to be confident of that. So the council are still pushing wanting a firm commitment as if hammerson pull out it would push the possible start date back for possibly years as a new developer would need to be found. Hammerson do own some of the area but so do John Lewis and the council so if Hammerson do commit then demolition could start in places without it being organised by Hammerson. Something I hadn't even considered is the archaeological interest in the area which means demolition would have to be done carefully with area's of interest being examined before building work commenced. He seemed to think that it would be days rather than weeks before we get a definite answer from Hammerson as to whether they are going to go ahead. I'm going to send an email off to John Mothersole on everybodies behalf expressing my disappointment that we're still in limbo but as I know John has come up through the ranks at planning I bet he's as fed up as we are by now. The lack of info being fed through is because at the moment there's still nothing concrete to report but watch this space as things aren't going to be allowed to remain stationary.

surely these areas of archeological interest were known when this fiasco started years ago ? or is this another excuse for stalling ? :huh:i bet john is right fed up of looking like afool, but his wage packet makes up for it . please stop apologising for him and others

Edited by hackey lad

Hang on though other towns and cities seem to be able to develop and the shopper today wants a pleasant shopping environment and the shop owner wants units that can be adapted or made easy for the particular requirements of the owner

...a new plan that might actually work.
There's a housing shortage. Build some houses. Now I know that's probably rocket science as far as SCC are concerned, because it probably isn't in the master plan...

The archaeological stuff has been known about for years but much like the castle we don't know how much is there till the Castle market is pulled down so the site can be examined in detail. I bet up in York they often see a site being cleared but then nothing new is built rapidly because the site is of interest to archaeologists I'm sure he mentioned barkers pool as well as being of interest, maybe something to do with water workings with it's name but I'll leave that up to one of the forum archaeologists to talk about if that's the case.

---------- Post added 05-06-2013 at 23:02 ----------

On the subject of houses I seem to remember there are quite a few area's in Sheffield ear marked for residential buildings, in fact they've started to build out at Norfolk park as I know there is a show house soon to be on display although I'm not sure if it's for public viewing. The developer though is being actively encouraged by the council to build homes suitable for all from the cradle to the grave which is no bad thing.

The archaeological stuff has been known about for years but much like the castle we don't know how much is there till the Castle market is pulled down so the site can be examined in detail. I bet up in York they often see a site being cleared but then nothing new is built rapidly because the site is of interest to archaeologists I'm sure he mentioned barkers pool as well as being of interest, maybe something to do with water workings with it's name but I'll leave that up to one of the forum archaeologists to talk about if that's the case.

---------- Post added 05-06-2013 at 23:02 ----------

On the subject of houses I seem to remember there are quite a few area's in Sheffield ear marked for residential buildings, in fact they've started to build out at Norfolk park as I know there is a show house soon to be on display although I'm not sure if it's for public viewing. The developer though is being actively encouraged by the council to build homes suitable for all from the cradle to the grave which is no bad thing.

so a company that is supposed to be investing millions have not done searches of archeological interest until now ? or have they suddenly come apparent now?

---------- Post added 05-06-2013 at 23:26 ----------

OK here it is, the first Sevenstone thread. The brand new face of Sheffield. As we all know, there has been a lot of talk about Sheffield's new retail quarter (once aptly named NRQ), but now that the new name has been announced, why not place all related thoughts and stories here and put previous threads to the archives?

Something tells me that now a corporate decision has been made, the name Sevenstone is here to stay and is likely to become entrenched in the Sheffield mindset (give it time!)

Share your stories... here are my initial random thoughts.

1. Firstly, I cannot wait to see the official plans!!! How exciting, our very own high profile shopping centre to rival the best!

2. The chatter on the boards (SF included!) is bound to take an advanced leap as the scheme develops, from demolition of existing structures that get in the way to construction!

3. Can't wait for the new John Lewis, Prada Sheffield, Hugo Boss, or even Selfridges (hmmm, I know Selfidges has probably been done to death here)

4. Sevenstones - How 'fitting' (pardon the pun) - in an age of Size Zero. A headline I am surprised the Sheffield Star have not yet to run!

5. Size Zero Sheffield - does size matter?

6. All the way to the first shop opening.... although a number of years a plenty away, what brand stores does Sheffield want to see? (no more Poundland)

So in conclusion to the beginnings of a fantastic thread, here is to the Size Zero Centre (Sorry - start again), Sevenstone Sheffield, long may this new life prosper, engage us and delight us in this consumer driven age............................ I can't wait!

Your comment's here!.............................................

13.10 .07 :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Sorry but some-one isn't reading my posts correctly, I'm sure i said that the archaeological stuff has been known about for a long time but obviously no detailed examination could be done whilst there were buildings sitting on top of it. The area will be cleared of buildings then an archaeological investigation can take place. That may delay things in that particular area abit depending on what they find, probably not much but I could be wrong.