Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

Sorry but some-one isn't reading my posts correctly, I'm sure i said that the archaeological stuff has been known about for a long time but obviously no detailed examination could be done whilst there were buildings sitting on top of it. The area will be cleared of buildings then an archaeological investigation can take place. That may delay things in that particular area abit depending on what they find, probably not much but I could be wrong.

in other words, another reaspn to delay another 7 years and an excuse in a poor attempt to not make scc not look bad!!!, im sorry but we all lnow its just another poor excuse to stall!!!!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Exactly, even if the economy was in a much better state a hugely expensive mini-meadowhall with no parking would not be a good plan.

We need innovation and it would be great if SCC admitted they are not up to the job and invited all citizens to have an input into a new plan that might actually work.

This would be the best idea, limiting ideas and innovation solely to the arrogant, and thinking about 'masterplans' is quite frankly almost as ridiculous as the council handing over so much of our city's future to one organisation.

in other words, another reaspn to delay another 7 years and an excuse in a poor attempt to not make scc not look bad!!!, im sorry but we all lnow its just another poor excuse to stall!!!!

As the area that may, I repeat may have some archaeological interest doesn't cover the entire site and if there isn't much there then the delay to one small bit may not be very long at all. I also doubt that if something of importance is found then it wouldn't be in the hands of the council I suspect there might be a central government department who would have the say on halting building work. However for people to start finding issues without the facts being known is a tad foolish in my opinion.

I noticed the Sevenstone development office clearing out over the weekend...

Is there something they aren't telling anyone?!

you mean they had an office for doing nothing for 7 years????!

I think that it's been clear for a long time that until the retail sector shows signs of serious improvement and or the cost of borrowing comes down for the developers, this project isn't getting built.

You seem to be suggesting that it is factors outside SCC's control that are in effect to blame for this situation; if so why aren't Leeds and Manchester in this pickle?

You seem to be suggesting that it is factors outside SCC's control that are in effect to blame for this situation; if so why aren't Leeds and Manchester in this pickle?

Or Croydon council , who have signed a deal with Hammerson to redevelop their town center shopping . All this leads you to believe that it is in fact sheffield council who are causing the problems ,not Hammerson given the fact they have managed to get many other projects agreed and built .