Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawny1970

then we spend 20 years trying to catchup butvwill be hamstrung by the council and stupid planning!!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

The high street will never recover. 1 in 5 shops is expected to close in the next 5 years.

City centres will become just cafes, restaurants, bars + a few high end artisan shops. Shopping will generaly be done online with big out of town quasi-wearhouses for bulky item pick-ups.

not in sheffield tho, they dont want these out of town megastores creating jobs remember!!!

not in sheffield tho, they dont want these out of town megastores creating jobs remember!!!

Point of information: they're not really 'in Sheffield' [= city centre] if they're out-of-town, are they?

City centres will become just cafes, restaurants, bars + a few high end artisan shops. Shopping will generaly be done online with big out of town quasi-wearhouses for bulky item pick-ups.

No they won't.

Successful city centres will combine retail with a strong leisure offer. I don't see Leeds city centre becoming a retail backwater, its actually strengthening its retail position with developments like Trinity and Eastgate, the former dedicating 25 per cent of its total floor area to restaurants, bars and a cinema. The place is packed and hugely successful.

Sadly Sheffield can only dream about the kind of developments that are happening in the centre of its Northern neighbour. The decline we have witnessed in Sheffield centre can't be applied across the board to all city centres however.

Got my reply. According to Ree negotiations are still ongoing, there is now no formal deadline to when these must conclude, however it is hoped that some progress will be announced in a matter of weeks rather than months.

So no change from 6 months ago

what a joke

The high street will never recover. 1 in 5 shops is expected to close in the next 5 years.

Re bib.

That sounds quite good. I think I might start going. Not much for me there at present.

So no change from 6 months ago

what a joke

its not funny anymore ,and still no information from the people who are supposed to work for us :mad::mad::mad:

---------- Post added 14-06-2013 at 19:38 ----------

Where did they give a date when a statement will be released?

All I have seen is that Hammersons were given to the end of May to commit or not. Nothing about any statement? Nothing about when we the public will be advised of the outcome?

Dozens of planning applicaiton deadlines close every week but you dont get to know the final outcome until some time later. Job Application deadlines close every week but you dont get an instant email telling you whether you have got it or not.

As I have said before, whatever or not the outcome is, there will be things the council need to do.

Whatever "statement" is produced will need to be properly drafted, approved, legally checked by both sides and then eventually published.

The deadline seemingly was at close of play on Friday. There has only been just over a working day since that deadline.

Whatever Hammerson's response it is going to be a long long letter or formal agreement / proposal / contract which probably has come from some slick city lawyers. Its not going to be written on the back of a fag packet.

That will need to be considered one way or another and any announcement to us will need to be something official and more importantly legally accurate before its published to us.

That's not going to happen in one working day.

I have no problem with people's concern over what is happening with our taxes with this seemingly farce of a project - particuarly those who do have business interests. I realise its important not to have a stagnating city with a dud project.

However, I am sensible enough to know that things are not going to happen instantly and unlike some people on this thread I will hold off my foamy mouthed angry bile against the Council until they have had a sensible timescale to tell us what's going on.

Come back to me in a week or two's time and then I might think differently.

so ,do you think differently ?

Got my reply. According to Ree negotiations are still ongoing, there is now no formal deadline to when these must conclude, however it is hoped that some progress will be announced in a matter of weeks rather than months.

Surprise, surprise . The council give it the big ultimatum then back down when Hammerson refuse to give a start date.