Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

As I've said before, internet shopping has made a mess of the High Street

Certainly has. And if you prefer "real" shopping to the internet, why travel into town when you can take the car to Meadowhall or Drakehouse (plenty of parking).

Decline In Retail Floorspace Hits Town Centres Harder Than Out Of Town

No by my rational it will get done when the economy picks up.

When? How about if?

There has never been global economic recovery with oil prices above $100 a barrel [LINK]

Price forecast for the next year? $113 [LINK]

Trillions have been printed and injected into the world’s economies, and yet things seem to be barely limping along, requiring constant attention and interventions from both fiscal and monetary authorities.

Trillions worth of money created out of thin air of course. Money with no real value attached to it.

If wealth could be created by printing money, Zimbabwe would be the richest country in the world and schoolchildren would be learning about the Weimar economic miracle. The fact that "spend and print" seems so favoured by politicians suggests that they do not understand the cost of quantitative easing.

Dr Guy Wolf

:this council is supposed to be for the people of sheffield ,but tell us nothing .i just hope that at the next elections some people remember this and other fiascos., but some people are so thick to realise that they are being used to advance certain persons careers :mad:

wheres planner 1, wallbuilder or ecconoob to give a balanced view ?they seem to be in the same hiding place as our council spokespersons

Edited by hackey lad

:this council is supposed to be for the people of sheffield ,but tell us nothing

Do you ever, just for a second, consider that this might be because there is no news right now and that they will let you know when there is some news?

.i just hope that at the next elections some people remember this and other fiascos.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Lib Dems in power for some of the time that this has been rumbling along? Who else do you think has a reasonable chance of being elected?

wheres planner 1, wallbuilder or ecconoob to give a balanced view ?they seem to be in the same hiding place as our council spokespersons

Getting on with their lives as they probably have better things to do than speculate on when the next Council press release might come out.

Hi, sorry but I've not had much time to log on but now I'm here and so can report something. I contacted the chief executive John Mothersole's office and recieved a call today basically saying that there is nothing to report as negotiations are still underway. Unfortunately this was in the way of an answer machine so I didn't get the chance to actually ask what that means exactly. If Hammerson do pull out completely then that will really delay things so I'd assume the council are trying to make the best of a bad position and so aare trying to find a way to bring things forward but I'm guessing here as a bit of reading between the lines is required. Just curious though what would the armchair planners and council officials do to rectify this situation rather than just muttering on about how incompetent the council are, I'd like to know

Hi, sorry but I've not had much time to log on but now I'm here and so can report something. I contacted the chief executive John Mothersole's office and recieved a call today basically saying that there is nothing to report as negotiations are still underway. Unfortunately this was in the way of an answer machine so I didn't get the chance to actually ask what that means exactly. If Hammerson do pull out completely then that will really delay things so I'd assume the council are trying to make the best of a bad position and so aare trying to find a way to bring things forward but I'm guessing here as a bit of reading between the lines is required. Just curious though what would the armchair planners and council officials do to rectify this situation rather than just muttering on about how incompetent the council are, I'd like to know

Authorise Next and Ikea to create their jobs that they actually want to create immediately. Offer all city centre units under CP ground rent free for five years to any retail organisation which is not a charity shop/bookie/monger exploiter.

It would be a start, surely?

Authorise Next and Ikea to create their jobs that they actually want to create immediately. Offer all city centre units under CP ground rent free for five years to any retail organisation which is not a charity shop/bookie/monger exploiter.

You wouldnt last long in the town hall Andy , you talk far too much sense and offer common sense solutions and ideas.

Sorry I was meaning about the sevenstone development and the surrounding area. I doubt that Next or Ikea would want to try and locate themselves in the NRQ as that would mean they'd have to rethink there present building design policy and would probably be a bit too expensive for the amount of square footage they'd want, although I know this has never been suggested. The ground rent is an interesting idea but a snippet of news I did find out was about the empty shop units which are being offered at cheap rents, apparently they're not being snapped up although the scene isn't one of utter dereliction despite what some people make out on this forum.