Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

Sorry I was meaning about the sevenstone development and the surrounding area. I doubt that Next or Ikea would want to try and locate themselves in the NRQ as that would mean they'd have to rethink there present building design policy and would probably be a bit too expensive for the amount of square footage they'd want, although I know this has never been suggested. The ground rent is an interesting idea but a snippet of news I did find out was about the empty shop units which are being offered at cheap rents, apparently they're not being snapped up although the scene isn't one of utter dereliction despite what some people make out on this forum.

Well i wouldn't approach it like that, otherwise it would end up like it has, a god awful mess.

Let those who wish to invest in the city invest. (the city exists outside the inner ringroad, the jobs are just as real)

Inside the ring of despair, remove every charge possible to see if people will give it a go. No guarentees but it cannot hurt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by andygardener

Authorise Next and Ikea to create their jobs that they actually want to create immediately.

Don't Next and IKEA want the same piece of land at Meadowhall Retail Park? Wouldn't that be a bit difficult?

no 2 different chunks of land, between them they would create nearly 500 full time jobs not to mention the construction jobs, but scc not bothered about creating work as long as sevenstone happens in the next 15 years!!!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

no 2 different chunks of land, between them they would create nearly 500 full time jobs not to mention the construction jobs, but scc not bothered about creating work as long as sevenstone happens in the next 15 years!!!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

not so bothered about next ikea is must though and as i said before if its turned down its a nail in the coffin for sheffield cc

Getting on with their lives as they probably have better things to do than speculate on when the next Council press release might come out.
If only everyone could get their head in the sand while the council does nothing against a backdrop of Sheffield City Centres continued demise into one of the worst places in the UK. Sigh.

Do you seriously think that nobody should be bothered?

If only everyone could get their head in the sand while the council does nothing against a backdrop of Sheffield City Centres continued demise into one of the worst places in the UK. Sigh.

Do you seriously think that nobody should be bothered?

What do you suggest that SCC should do?

What do you suggest that SCC should do?
Bite the bullet and bring in alternate developers. If it takes extra time so be it.

They should be looking to remove Hammerson now. They should have been looking to remove Hammerson years ago. They should have had clauses for key dates written into the original plans.

They should never have used Hammerson in the first place because this is the same company that ruined Bradford.

Hammerson do not deserve to be in our City.