Anyone but England.

So a foreign country who are our local rivals produce a t-shirt hoping that england don't win. Was it racist of me to hope that man utd lost the champions league final?

When it says "england" it is of course talking of the england football team, so unless the england football team are a race in themselves, it clearly isn't racist.

edit: In fact it says ANYONE but england - probably as far away from racism as you can get

Try this for size.

English man walks through town centre wearing a t-shirt saying 'Anyone but pakistan' or 'Anyone but India'. Are you telling me there would be no comeback for the man wearing the t-shirt. Course there would. Hed be probably charged with incitement to racial hatred.

Try this for size.

English man walks through town centre wearing a t-shirt saying 'Anyone but pakistan' or 'Anyone but India'. Are you telling me there would be no comeback for the man wearing the t-shirt. Course there would. Hed be probably charged with incitement to racial hatred.

The T-Shirt says 'ABE' in a large font size, 'Anyone but England' in a much smaller font size. All this is then given the context of the World Cup in South Africa 2010, all that in a larger font size.

So the context is clear. It's all about the football.

Unless you have a hidden agenda for bringing it up?

If it related to the cricket world cup (because it would be unlikely to come up at football) then no, it would not be racist....

You are not saying anything specifically anti-that country, you are saying that you do not want their football/cricket team to win.

You didn't answer my previous question - was it racist of me to hope that man utd lost in the champions league final? Because it refers to a team, not a country.

Im not answering your question as its not relevant. Im not talking about football teams at club level or infact any level. Im talking about the blatent racism the English have to endure day in and day out whilst all the time being labeled racists themselves. The message in the t-shirt has nothing to do with sport, its a racist dig at the English.

:)

Archived