Would you commute by bicycle if..

Tony

Stocksbridge to town on a bike takes about 25 minutes door to door and it is a pretty flat route depending on where you live in Stocksbridge, but you can push the last bit uphill. Is your car actually faster door to door or would you be able to have an extra half hour in bed if you went by bike? Your fitness would improve massively after just a couple of weeks so I wouldn't worry about that.

Seriously, if it was quicker what else would it take?

What route is that taking? I don't even have a bike, just curious! If it genuinely took 25 minutes I might do it if it was just me but I commute with my OH and there is no way on this Earth he would :lol:

Oh and another thing is I don't have a garage or anything so no where to put a bike at home. That is probably a big deal to a lot of people, especially if you lived in a rough area and couldn't leave it outside.

I used to go by bike, but too many bus drivers seemed to want to kill me. I felt that they would get me before too long... Dangerous

...In hot weather I would get to work in a sweat, in cold weather rain ice ...dangerous again.

... There are big hills in Sheffield, ok going down...

I am too old probably, though I will try again if things improve.

Guest sibon
If there were secure bike and kit lockers dotted around the town centre? Maybe with a shower to freshen up?

What about some training to build your ability and confidence? How about a mobile bicycle repair man in town?

What would it take to get you out of the car or off the bus and onto a bicycle?

I don't work in town, so showers there wouldn't encourage me. There are showers where I work anyway.

The only thing that stops me is the presence of a massive hill in both directions on my journey. I'm fairly sure that I could do it and build up my fitness, but the hills really put me off... and I'm lazy

A chair lift up Long Lane and Hagg Hill might convince me otherwise.

If there were secure bike and kit lockers dotted around the town centre? Maybe with a shower to freshen up?

What about some training to build your ability and confidence? How about a mobile bicycle repair man in town?

What would it take to get you out of the car or off the bus and onto a bicycle?

Shower to freshen up & something solid to chain it to. But most importantly training to improve most other cyclists so I didn't get tarred with the same brush, then once that had taken effect training for other motorists to smarten them up, then finally a cull on all the brainless nobheads. As things are I feel safer on a motorbike.

cycling from hillsborough into town looks a bit precarious to me
It's not too bad once you've found the best way. Most of it from Owlerton to town has cycle lanes. But Hayley's right, for the majority of routes there's simply too many holes in the road for a lot of them to be safe. I considered a road bike recently. Then un-considered it when I realised the wheels would last about 5 minutes around Sheffield's roads.

It's not too bad once you've found the best way. Most of it from Owlerton to town has cycle lanes. But Hayley's right, for the majority of routes there's simply too many holes in the road for a lot of them to be safe. I considered a road bike recently. Then un-considered it when I realised the wheels would last about 5 minutes around Sheffield's roads.

that gives me the fear - i only have a road bike! perhaps i should keep it where it is in the shed, and forget about returning to the roads altogether!

as a non driver myself , my missus has told me all about the state of the roads round here. it's pretty poor really.

Having cycled to work when I lived in Essex, and cycled in Sheffield, I can tell you, cycling in a flat area is a darned sight harder than cycling in Sheffield where it is hilly! On the flat, you have to pedal all the time. In Sheffield, you pedal up the hills, and freewheel down. Much easier!

Having cycled to work when I lived in Essex, and cycled in Sheffield, I can tell you, cycling in a flat area is a darned sight harder than cycling in Sheffield where it is hilly! On the flat, you have to pedal all the time. In Sheffield, you pedal up the hills, and freewheel down. Much easier!

ha - nice to know that there are other essex exiles cycling in sheffield. :)

Archived