Would you commute by bicycle if..

Tony

I used to cycle to and from work when I lived in Sheffield, it would take me about 3.5 mins to get there (Top of Cobden View Rd >>> Wilkinson St in one big straight downwards line) and about 20 mins to get home up the hills, definitely made me fit though. I reckon the elevation from home to work was about the same as the distance horizontally.

Here in Leeds i do an 8 mile round trip every day by bicycle which is nicely undulating with a fast downhill bit at the end into town, the only problem is that we don't have any showers here at work, which would be a benefit.

I save myself at least £25 a week on parking and £15 a week on petrol. It also takes about 20 minutes longer to drive due to getting stuck in traffic and then having to walk for 10 mins from the cheaper of the car parks.

It also helps to wake me up in the morning, If I get the train or drive in I feel dead until about 10am.

a map!

cycling from hillsborough into town looks a bit precarious to me - horrible 'bitty' cycle lanes, aggressive drivers and unclear road layouts.

if there was some sort of more apparent cycle route, i'd be inclined to use it.

however, in other places i have lived, these special routed end up the target of vandalism - i spent more time pulling drawing pins out of my wheels than i did cycling.

maybe it would take a london style congestion charge, forcing more people out of their cars, hence higher tollerance of cycling amongst the new found velo-heads... ? suspect that wouldn't be popular though.... :D

You've just got to try it. Once you've worked out a route its fine. I dare you to try it once!

I think we don't really have a big cycling "culture" in Sheffield, or generally in the UK. So finding practical reasons to take it up won't really make a difference.

If you make the choice to walk or bike it you are generally the odd one out and regarded as either a fitness fanatic trying to be superior(definitely not me :|) or a bit weird (erm, probably me :help:). Which is strange, being close to the Peaks and everything but there one is.

I'm not an absolute Sheffield native and the local folk give me funny looks when I say I don't really have much interest in driving or say I'm going to walk for a whole thirty five minutes to get home.

Just as a general rule of thumb, people born and brought up in the area do seem to be a little bit scared of....erm.....going outside and using their legs a bit, whereas outsiders and people who have come here to study are slightly more hardy (please don't shout at me for saying this anyone I'm ill :(:help::help::help::help:)

This is all true. I got funny looks the other day when I cycled from worrall to a depot to pick up a parcel in rotherham. Complete bewilderment at why someone would do that! Its not superiority just my means of transport.

I'm still waiting to find out how you cycle from stocky to town in 25 mins... not sure I could average over 20mph the whole way on a bike myself!

I go from worrall to train station in 18 minutes. I think stocksbridge to town in 25 is asking a lot! Even if you are a TDF cyclist, there's four million sets of lights to get through.

I go from worrall to train station in 18 minutes. I think stocksbridge to town in 25 is asking a lot! Even if you are a TDF cyclist, there's four million sets of lights to get through.

But they don't apply to cyclists surely..? :)

Yes I forgot about that of course, you'd probably actually have to be doing 30mph!

In short, I think doing stocky to town (average person not a fitness cyborg in normal conditions) in 25 mins is bull-poopy!

I checked the distance and yep at 10 miles 25 mins is ambitious for most people. 40 - 45 mins would be more realistic for a beginner but that's not really very long once you're up to speed.

Can I ask how long it take you by car from door to door, and how much you spend on fuel and parking to go to work?

It takes 40 minutes by car, fuel costs approx £2 (just bought a little diesel) and parking costs £2 (or nothing depending on where car gets parked).

Twice a week I'd have to drive practically into town and back to do the shopping anyway (no proper supermarket at home :rolleyes:). Plus I'd still have nowhere to put a bike at home.

So on balance I think I'd rather pay £4 and be able to do my shopping etc on the way home to be honest. Or park a little further and walk in and only have to spend £2 of fuel a day, that would be a good option.

Archived