Would you commute by bicycle if..

Tony

If there were secure bike and kit lockers dotted around the town centre? Maybe with a shower to freshen up?

What about some training to build your ability and confidence? How about a mobile bicycle repair man in town?

What would it take to get you out of the car or off the bus and onto a bicycle?

for all of the above

NO

I live near Crookes and work in the city centre. I would consider it if there was a low-traffic route I could use. I wouldn't feel safe cycling in Sheffield in the rush hour.

I used to feel like this. But to proffer an alternative take on the traffic volume, I actually think you are safer at rush hour. Sure, there are many more cars, but their speed is much lower. Chances are you'll be able to go quicker than them most of the time.

I'd say it's safer to ride in the city centre at rush hour, when the cars spend a significant amount of time stationary or crawling, rather than out in the Peaks for example, where they can whip past you at 60 mph on narrow roads. Just my thoughts...:)

It’s so depressing to read the number of replies citing danger from traffic as the main barrier to getting new people into cycling.

We are all aware that the UK has spiralling obesity problems due to our sedentary lifestyles. Within Europe we have the lowest levels of children allowed to walk or cycle to school yet ironically we have the highest levels of pedestrian and cyclist casualties.

So what should we do, if anything, to change this? Are we all happy just sat in our cars doing sub 2 mile journeys because that the only safe option?

In a compact city such as Sheffield it’s never going to be possible to install Dutch style off road cycle lanes to every destination, and similarly pedestrians are always going to have to mix with traffic at some point.

Should we take the more radical approach championed by other Lib Dem controlled administrations (e.g. Portsmouth, Norwich, and Oxford) and introduce 20mph as a default speed limit within Sheffield’s residential areas to encourage more walking and cycling?

Have this lot got it right?

http://www.20splentyforus.org.uk/

Or should we be looking at the naked streets approach where we remove all restrictions which has worked well in some European cities

It’s so depressing to read the number of replies citing danger from traffic as the main barrier to getting new people into cycling.

We are all aware that the UK has spiralling obesity problems due to our sedentary lifestyles. Within Europe we have the lowest levels of children allowed to walk or cycle to school yet ironically we have the highest levels of pedestrian and cyclist casualties.

So what should we do, if anything, to change this? Are we all happy just sat in our cars doing sub 2 mile journeys because that the only safe option?

In a compact city such as Sheffield it’s never going to be possible to install Dutch style off road cycle lanes to every destination, and similarly pedestrians are always going to have to mix with traffic at some point.

Should we take the more radical approach championed by other Lib Dem controlled administrations (e.g. Portsmouth, Norwich, and Oxford) and introduce 20mph as a default speed limit within Sheffield’s residential areas to encourage more walking and cycling?

Have this lot got it right?

http://www.20splentyforus.org.uk/

Or should we be looking at the naked streets approach where we remove all restrictions which has worked well in some European cities

Ideally we'd have cycle paths like the garden cities - well away form the roads. My other half is from Stevenage and its easy to cycle everywhere and never have to go near other traffic.

Another option is one that seems to work in Belgium - Whilst I was working in Antwerp I saw that they widened pavements and had a wide red stripe that was for cyclists. The cyclists path was actually in the middle of the pavement away form the traffic...it seemed to work well once the idiot foreigners like me had worked out why little old ladies on bikes shouted at me as I walked along.

I do cycle to work - the opposite way ..... Hillsborough to Barnsley. Takes about 45-50 minutes either way and is about 11-12 miles, depending which route I take.

I'm lucky enought to work in a school with lock up and showers so theres no question .... apart from bad weather (and I mean 4 inches of ice) I cycle every day :)

I do cycle to work - the opposite way ..... Hillsborough to Barnsley. Takes about 45-50 minutes either way and is about 11-12 miles, depending which route I take.

I'm lucky enought to work in a school with lock up and showers so theres no question .... apart from bad weather (and I mean 4 inches of ice) I cycle every day :)

I salute you! I don't think I could manage that distance every day. Apart from the fact that I'm not on the same site all day...

• 5 weeks later...

Here's an interesting one. In 14 states in the USA it is a legal requirement to give at least 3 feet of space to a cyclist when you overtake.

Would that help you feel more confident, to know that you had legal entitlement to enough safe space?

Here's an interesting one. In 14 states in the USA it is a legal requirement to give at least 3 feet of space to a cyclist when you overtake.

Would that help you feel more confident, to know that you had legal entitlement to enough safe space?

I understand here in the uk everyone adheres to the law, so this could be promising...

Archived