Wittmann's Last Day

Falls

Hi,

This story has been on my laptop for quite a while. It’s a work of fiction, written around actual events that occurred in Normandy in World War II. It’s also a tad on the technical side but I’m sure you will be able to follow it.

I did think of recycling it for the January theme. It met the requirement for violence and coarse language but it was always far too long and didn’t lend itself to summarizing. The coarse language has been moderated but is still there because it’s the Canadian variety and really part of the story.

I realize some of the group have come to expect sex in my stories but I have disappoint them this time. I really don’t know if it’s possible to do that kind of thing in a tank but I’m sure there must be a member out there who can enlighten us.

Wittmann's last day.

Regards

Well Falls, you surpass yourself there, an interesting bit of history you turned into a nice little story.

Full marks for that one mate, and here’s a picture to go with it…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wittmann_Tiger_007.jpg

Hi Mick,

Thats the picture...What a mess.

A couple of things. Have you notice the Tiger's,tracks are missing. They were made from good quality steel and mostly likely,the Canadian tankers would have 'knicked' them and then weld them to the outside of their own Shermans to give better protection. When you ad bits on like that, its called 'Applique Armour'.

The real life commander of the Canadians in this story was Major (later Major General) S.V.Radley-Walters. He was one of the first people to try this. Dont know if the British tankers welded on the tracks of knocked-out tanks but expect they did. All these lads were pretty desperate for solutions. After all, they weren't getting any help from the high-up's, etc.

After 007 was 'brewed-up', the remains of the crew were taken out of the wreakage and buried at the side of the road. There was a grave marker but it most likely became overgrown. The grave was rediscovered in 1982 when they were doing road improvements. The remains were identified and then re- buried (with a bit of pomp on the part of the Germany Government) in the main German war cemetery at La Cambe.

It appears the grave itself has now become something of a cult site for you-know-who. Enough said.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Falls,

I showed this story to a friend of mine, he's ex-Royal Armoured Corps and if you saw the number of model tanks in his living room you'd instantly realise he's 'a bit of a tank expert' - he knew of Wittman's demise and said your story is probably a reasonable account of what could have happened.

We had an interesting discussion about the Sherman VC 'Firefly' tank mentioned in your story; apparently the Sherman's small turret couldn't contain the recoil mechanism for the 17 pounder, so the British & Canadians simply didn't bother with it!

As a result the entire tank took the force of the recoil, giving the crew a right pounding just like you described in the story. Another drawback with using this gun so low down is that it kicked up a hell of a dust cloud necessitating in a quick re-position after firing due the target being obscured and worse still, the dust cloud giving your position away.

As a work of fiction I thought the tank commander was a little too dispassionate, my friend agreed and said if a Tiger had presented it's 'rear end' (he used a more earthy phrase) towards his gun he would have taken the shot with no hesitation & they'd be whooping like idiots as it brewed up. Maybe that's just him.

A good story though, you've clearly done a lot of research; the story has an authoritative, authentic ring to it which made me want to read more.

BTW, My buddy told me he is hoping to acquire a 1/5th scale tiger tank (roughly 2 foot tall) to put in the garden, but his missus won't let him have one. I remonstrated on his behalf, pointing out that the gnomes could be camouflaged as infantry! At this point she muttered "Don't go giving him any more silly ideas," took my can of beer away and showed me the door. Can't think why. :hihi:

Hi Mantas,

Thanks for the message. Just one or two comments.

Ive heard the only Tiger I in anything like working order is in the Tank Museum at Bovington, Dorset. I must get down there sometime and take a look.

The tale of Wittmann's demise interested me because it happened in Normandy, one of the few parts of France that I'm really familiar with. The family makes periodic visits to the area. My father-in-law was infantry and he is buried in a cemetery futher to the west (south of Bayeux)

The History TV Channel over here has been running a series of programs on major tank battles, with some very sophisticated graphics and interviews with Tankers from both sides. Last week was the Battle of the Bulge and this week's program was on a battle in Feb/Mar 1945 when the Canadian's had pushed Gerry back to the Rhine in their sector. The Tankers they interviewed in this weeks program were from the Sherbrooke Fusiliers. Every program has been Sherman's v Tigers, Panthers, the deadly 88's, etc.

Give my best regards to your friend and I hope he has sucess with his Tiger project. Even at 1:5 scale, that gun could make a hell of a mess in the neighbourhood.

Regards

Archived