Broadband Question

dunno if we got any computer buffs here but i livin in hope,

might even be a stupid question but here goes anyhow.

i just signed up for broadband and as it says constant connection and still be able to use phone , i was woundering if this useing of phone means i can connet my other comp to net useing my normal pay as you go internet connection (like i said probaly a realy stupid question) but then again i never said i was smart .....

thanks.....

My line is on broadband and the phone side of it is just a normal voice line. I have used it to call a dial-in connection with a modem just as I did before getting the new service when my broadband was not up and it worked fine. Never tried it simultaneously but it should work.

I dont see why not. Seems a bit daft paying for 2 ISP services though.

OK getting out of my depth now... but I think what you can do is connect your broadband connection to a router then connect your (various) PCs etc to that. They then share the connection and you only pay for the one connection...and you can still use the phone!. I'm sure someone more knowledgable about networks will chip in with more precise details.

Anyway, the simple answer to your question is :yes.

how it stands now is my internet connection is hometime ie 15 a month including line rental and as the line is not used for phone calls (got other line paid for by firm i work for) id like to keep this on so the cost is not a problem just wanted to know that my son could use net on his comp wile i on my

but if short answer is yes then i is smileing :)

Originally posted by Sidla

If you only have 2 PCs there's no need for routers or anything, if you've got 2 network cards you can connect them directly using a crossover cable.

If you do that, you will need some internet connection sharing software, which may or may not be built into windows.

Can I recommend the SMC Barricade Router/Hub? to be found here

It works for me, having a PC and a Mac sharing my Blueyonder connection

It's much better (and easier) to get a router. It means that you don't have to have one particular machine on and running all the time to give internet access to the other.

It also allows you to expand your home computer network, by effortlessly adding a third computer, or even a printer that all machines can use as if it were physically connected to your own machine.

Plus, if your machine with the broadband is doing something quite memory intensive, the delivery of the internet to the other machine will suffer.

I can strongly recommend the Netgear range of routers and wireless kit - very easy to set up and an excellent 5 year warranty.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived