A Degree In Accounting.

Hi

I am maybe going to apply to do an accounting degree, I was just curious as to wether anyone can share some insight into the type of work you while at Uni, also besides maths is there anything else I should maybe brush up on?

An accounting degree only gets you a certain number of exemptions from the professional exams you need to be an actual accountant - but lot's of other courses (economics, business studies etc.) get you the same or similar exemptions - worth checking on your specific course.

Personally I'd find 3 yrs of accounting a bit dull and would much rather do economics where there is some theory to play with rather than just rules to learn - especially if it got me just as far towards the career I wanted.

I would suggest that if you decide to complete a degree in accountancy you should take a qualification in domestic science to run alongside it.

I believe that there will be many openings over the next few years for people who can "Cook the books":roll:

• 8 months later...

Hi,

Ive just recently completed an accounting Degree. If youve brushed on Maths then i reckon you will be fine as its not complicated maths involved. If you can get some financial and management accounting books and starting reading them to gain some knowledge.

I have my books from my accounting degree. Let me know if youd like them.

Just pm me

An accounting degree only gets you a certain number of exemptions from the professional exams you need to be an actual accountant - but lot's of other courses (economics, business studies etc.) get you the same or similar exemptions - worth checking on your specific course.

Personally I'd find 3 yrs of accounting a bit dull and would much rather do economics where there is some theory to play with rather than just rules to learn - especially if it got me just as far towards the career I wanted.

An accountancy degree gets you far more exemptions from the Professional Accountancy Qualification than an economics or business studies degree.

An accountancy degree also covers more than just accountancy. You will typically study subjects such as law (foundation course plus company and insolvency law), economics, business management, sociology and IT.

From my time at university, those doing the Business Studies degrees tended to be those who had already failed the Accountancy degree, of which there were a large number.

Speaking from personal experience, if you can, get a job at a firm of accountants as a junior/trainee/tea maker rather than going to university, and work your way up

In the same three year period you will have gained an awful lot of experience, hopefully passed an exam or two, earned a bit of money and avoided a lot of debt

I realise things are different now and the jobs may not be there, but it's well worth considering - it worked for me

Archived