A Degree In Accounting.

That would be the best way in an ideal world Boblet but nowadays the Big 4 won't look at anyone apart from graduates and the smaller accountancy firms generally can't afford trainees.

Broadly I agree with you - especially about the big 4 (but there aren't many of those around here) - but the general idea still applies - send out your CV to everyone you can think of by e mail and/or post - you never know

It's certainly worth trying it.

I went down the degree route but that was just as they were phasing out grants so I didn't incur massive debts by doing so. Also, I was a bit more mature than your normal entrant and was coming from an entirely different background so that was the best way for me.

It's certainly worth trying it.

I went down the degree route but that was just as they were phasing out grants so I didn't incur massive debts by doing so. Also, I was a bit more mature than your normal entrant and was coming from an entirely different background so that was the best way for me.

I was offered a place at Manchester Uni but was also offered a job in Doncaster - the grant in those days was (I think) £2,500 and my starting salary was £3,000 so I took the money!

That sounds about right on the grant. I went in 1994 and it was £2,200 and I got a bit extra as I was a mature student. The grant, at that time, had been frozen for a number of years and they started to phase it out the following year.

Taking the money is the right option. After all, if you do the degree it will take about 6 years to qualify because even allowing for exemptions you still usually have to complete the exams in the appropriate year plus get the relevant 3 year's experience to be admitted to an institute.

As a matter of interest I work with some older guys who completed an "apprenticeship" in accountancy. This involved their parent paying a sum of money (£1,500 I think back in the early 1970's). This money was then used by the CA firm to pay their wages for the 3 years and when they qualified they were promptly "let go"!!!!!

Archived