Looking for martial arts classes for a complete beginner.

Hey folks, first time posting on here but I am currently looking for a good martial arts discipline/class to do in Sheffield.

I am quite unfit though and worried that some classes may be beyond my fitness level. I am trying to get myself into shape and discipline both my mind and body whilst at the same time picking up new skills and hopefully meeting some good people to train with in the future.

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to classes for someone who is overweight and rather unfit to start on and build from?

I'd suggest looking around as this question is asked a lot!

Sheffield has so much to offer martial arts wise, best advise is to read up on the internet about the styles (wikipedia etc) find one you like the sound of then go to 2 or 3 different classes and see which one you prefer.

The standard response on this forum is for everybody who runs a class to tell you theirs is the best, but like I say, find something you like.

Regarding fitness levels, two schools of thought on this I'd say.

If you don't think you'll be able to participate fully then you might prerfer to build your fitness beforehand? Otherwise just go along and see how it goes!

By the way I don't speak from great experience ;) I'm a martial arts newbie really who isn't amazingly fit, so don't assume you've been told this by some sort of expert!

I'd suggest looking around as this question is asked a lot!

Sheffield has so much to offer martial arts wise, best advise is to read up on the internet about the styles (wikipedia etc) find one you like the sound of then go to 2 or 3 different classes and see which one you prefer.

The standard response on this forum is for everybody who runs a class to tell you theirs is the best, but like I say, find something you like.

Regarding fitness levels, two schools of thought on this I'd say.

If you don't think you'll be able to participate fully then you might prerfer to build your fitness beforehand? Otherwise just go along and see how it goes!

By the way I don't speak from great experience ;) I'm a martial arts newbie really who isn't amazingly fit, so don't assume you've been told this by some sort of expert!

I wouldn't say I was 'some sort of expert' but I have been training in various arts for over 20 years and the advice given above is probably one of the best answers I have read to a question which is asked again and again.

Like the post says, find something you like. You will stick at it longer.

Hey folks, first time posting on here but I am currently looking for a good martial arts discipline/class to do in Sheffield.

I am quite unfit though and worried that some classes may be beyond my fitness level. I am trying to get myself into shape and discipline both my mind and body whilst at the same time picking up new skills and hopefully meeting some good people to train with in the future.

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to classes for someone who is overweight and rather unfit to start on and build from?

Hi azzer

We have a kickboxing class that is suitable for beginners in the city centre.

http://www.sheffieldkickboxingclub.co.uk

The beginners classes are Monday/Thursday at 830pm.

As for fitness, it is OUR job to get you fit.

Dont worry about being overweight we have quite a few overweight people here (including one of the instructors LOL)

All martial arts are suitable for beginners.. everyone has to start somewere.. like said try around and do one you enjoy.. good luck and hope you find what your looking for..

Craig.

Yep, what Lotar said.

The scariest thing is dragging yourself down there in the first place. Once you start training, even just the warm up, most of your fears fly out the window cos you're concentrating on what you're doing. All the clubs I know of are really friendly and cater for all abilities, plus your partner will help you out too. No excuse! :)

• 1 month later...

Hi I'm Brian Aiken, I run a Traditional Ju jitsu Club, a Grappling Club and also I teach MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) too,

No Direct debits, No Monthly Contracts, You Can Pay As You Go, Pay Per Week, or Pay Per Month all in cash. You can choose when you want to train and all Adult Classes Excepts the Women's Ju Jitsu are 1.5 Hours long.

TIME TABLE

• MON - Children's Ju-Jitsu 6pm - 7pm Adults Grappling 7pm - 8.30pm

Adults Ju-Jitsu 8.30pm-10pm

• TUE - Closed

• WED - Adults Grappling 7pm - 8.30pm

• THUR- Adults Grappling 7pm - 8.30pm

Adults Ju-Jitsu 8.30pm-10pm

• FRI - Children's Ju-Jitsu 6pm-7pm

• SAT - Closed

• SUN - Children's Ju-Jitsu 1pm- 2pm

Adults Ju-Jitsu 2pm - 3.30pm

Womens Self Defence 3.30pm-4.30pm

PRICE LIST

CHILDREN'S JU-JITSU £3.50

20% STUDENT DISCOUNT

WOMEN JU JITSU £3.50 / NUS £2.80

ADULTS JU-JITSU £4.50 / NUS £3.60

GRAPPLING £5.00 / NUS £4.00

MONTHLY OPTIONS

£30 FOR MONTHLY UNLIMITED CHILDREN CLASSES

£40 FOR MONTHLY UNLIMITED ADULTS CLASSES OR £10 A WEEK,

£32 FOR MONTHLY UNLIMITED ADULTS CLASSES WITH NUS OR £8 A WEEK .

Private 121 Tuition classes available @ £25 for 1.5 hours.

BRIAN AIKEN WORLD OF MARTIAL ARTS & FITNESS STUDIO

Get Fit, Lose Weight And Stay In Shape Whilst Having Fun.

Learn Great Techniques In Grappling, MMA & Ju Jitsu Suitable For Everyone

http://bajujitsu.weebly.com/

Hi, Gracie Barra Brazilian Jiu Jitsu runs a number of specific beginners classes: Monday 6-7, Wednesday 6-7 and Thursday 7.30 - 8.30. Fantastic level of instruction, good facilities and nice people!

Have a tour around, look and try different arts and see what suits you. If anyone is putting you under pressure to sign this or that, then just walk away. It's difficult to step on the mat for the first time; but I'm sure you can do it!

hi

SHEFFIELD TAEKWONDO ACADEMY

MYERS GROVE SCHOOL

WOOD LANE S6

MAIN HALL

LEARN SELF DEFENCE, IMPROVE FITNESS, IMPROVE CONFIDANCE

BEGINNERS WELCOME

SUITABLE FOR ALL AGES

STARTING FROM Thursday 22ND APRIL 2010

COST £4.00

6PM – 7:30 PM

CONTACT NUMBER 07980059124

VISIT US ON FACEBOOK:

Sheffield Taekwondo Academy

INSTRUCTOR KIERON BRIGGS

CURRENT NATIONAL TEAM MEMBER WTF

CURRENT NATIONAL CHAMPION WTF

KUKKIWON 3RD DAN

CRB CHECK

FULLY INSURED

Members are fully licensed through the British Taekwondo Control Board (B.T.C.B), the National Governing Body for Taekwondo in Great Britain.

Only through the BTCB can Taekwondo Athletes take part in the Olympic Games, World and European Championships.

Archived