Couple sentenced for 25 years in jail for ..

I have just read this thread and believe that there's a hidden agenda from some members, if Islam wasn't the religion at the centre of the dispute then there wouldn't have been all this fuss.

Sometimes its best to accept that the law in another country is for people living in that country and if an individual doesn't agree with it then they don't have to live there, Pakistan is an Islamic republic where the majority are classed as Muslims so the law is suited to their way of life, simple.

So that makes them right does it?

I clearly suggested nothing of the kind and I don't see how you can honestly conclude anything of the sort.

My point is that unless you can demonstrate that you somehow been appointed to one true interpreter of Islam you have no justification for declaring "it is not an Islamic law" when in reality it is only not an Islamic law according some understandings of Islam one of which you apparently endorse.

You provided the link; you provide irrefutable proof it is the Real McCoy.

For anyone genuinely interested in the validity of the study (which obviously doesn't include you) a detailed breakdown of the study including the methodology, sample sizes, the research companies employed in each country, the questions subjects were asked... can all be found by following the link in my previous post.

If you were genuinely interested in finding out how reliable the study I referred to is you'd already know all this.

They can regard it that way, it does not make it true. Suicide is not allowed. Martyrdom can be achieved in battle or through being killed for your beliefs, not killing yourself for your beliefs.

Again this is only your interpretation of Islam and what the sections in the Koran and Hadith concerning suicide and martyrdom mean.

On what grounds do you claim that you have the one true understanding of the Koran and Hadith and that all those millions of painfully sincere Muslims who disagree with you are wrong?

Oh Plek, we've been over this and over this in every thread even remotely connected to Islam. You will never accept what I tell you and I find conferring with you similar to banging my head against a wall. I'm telling you suicide is not allowed in Islam and you come back at me with "well these dudes think it is"; your point being what? That they are right? That you agree with them? What?

I believe that you should respect the laws of the country you are in regardless of wether you agree with them otherwise you will end up in trouble.

That is of course sensible, but you are trying to avoid my question and you know it.

Spouting the self evident truth that obeying the law is a good idea if you want to stay out of trouble in no way addresses my point which is your apparent support for punishing people simply for touching a book.

So please answer the question; do you agree that the state should concern itself with how people touch 'holy' books and that people should be criminalised and punished for doing so in non-approved ways? Yes or no.

Oh Plek, we've been over this and over this in every thread even remotely connected to Islam. You will never accept what I tell you and I find conferring with you similar to banging my head against a wall. I'm telling you suicide is not allowed in Islam and you come back at me with "well these dudes think it is"; your point being what? That they are right? That you agree with them? What?

To be fair you've been rather sceptical about a number of things on this thread till proof has been provided, so it would be reasonable for you to provide proof that suicide is not allowed in islam rather than just stating it. Given that some muslims do blow themselves up it's a fair bet that they think it's ok and have done a bit of research on the subject before splattering their guts all over some marketplace, so we'd need some fairly convincing proof.

To be fair you've been rather sceptical about a number of things on this thread till proof has been provided, so it would be reasonable for you to provide proof that suicide is not allowed in islam rather than just stating it. Given that some muslims do blow themselves up it's a fair bet that they think it's ok and have done a bit of research on the subject before splattering their guts all over some marketplace, so we'd need some fairly convincing proof.

What could I possible give you that you would accept as irrefutable? A hadith? The Quran itself? I've done that before and all I get back from people like Plek is that "everything is open to interpretation".

Of course I was skeptical. The ruling is ridiculously over the top. Anyone in their right mind can see it's madness.

Better not go to Pakistan then, as you don't appear to know much about their laws. :) We wouldn't like to lose you for 25 years due to a small mistake like touching something you 'shouldn't'

Tell me about it, last time I went was in 1983.

Archived