Couple sentenced for 25 years in jail for ..

Then it is scare tactics and games and sounds much more like politics than law.

That's Pakistan for you. The law was introduced by Zia ul Haq, fairness was not big on his list of things to do. Like many islamic dictators all he had to do is wrap himself in the flag of islam and oppress non-Muslims, thus making criticising his islamification of the legal code or indeed anything else he did an attack on islam and not his dictatorship.

Thereafter his opponents can't win.

I doubt that the Qur'an they touched would have been their own.

And yes, some of us are aware of the option of swearing on the Torah, and the Qur'an as well as the Bible, (I'm not sure, but I think a Sikh or Hindu can swear ther oath on their scriptures) but not so many are aware that they can "Affirm" rather than swear on any holy-book. (Which is what I prefer to do, not seeing holy books as talismans, upon which to swear. (As Isa, PBUH is reported to have said, "Do not swear on anything in heaven and on Earth. Let your yes be yes and your no be no!")

Why ? because they are christians ..I used to own a copy of the Koran ,in fact I may still have it stored somewhere..Im not muslim

Can you say "Sledgehammers-and-walnuts?" that sentence is well.. erm... excessive!

Although by the sound of the names of the couple involved, the convicted were Christian Pakistanis, and so, (even if Christian) if they lived in a Muslim country, they would know very well the rules about not handling the Qur'an with dirty hands.

(sort of like us Brits, knowing full well that going out and getting bladdered, and then wee-ing on a war memorial would create pitchfork wielding lynch-mobs a-plenty)

Would you get 25 years for that?

How so?

Well, the pakistani authorities can't have thought it such a serious offence when it happened in 2008 because they bailed the couple.

After pressure from outraged islamic fundamentalists and bribing a corrupt policeman they were re arrested blah blah blah..........................

Sounds to me like the people who keep the law are scared of these people who impliment it to terrify people.

Well, the pakistani authorities can't have thought it such a serious offence when it happened in 2008 because they bailed the couple.

After pressure from outraged islamic fundamentalists and bribing a corrupt policeman they were re arrested blah blah blah..........................

Sounds to me like the people who keep the law are scared of these people who impliment it to terrify people.

The point is it's Pakistani legislature, not Islamic law.

Looks like Youtube?

Duh. :rolleyes: I meant the specific material not the source website. YouTube is filled with a hell of a lot more interesting stuff than some fat dude talking about his toilet and the content of the Quran.

It is an excuse, nothing more. If a person is crazy and inclined to do abhorrent things they would do it even if they were not religious. Maybe they would blow up a building and claim Tom Cruise made them do it; that does not make Tom Cruise responsible in the slightest.

In what way is it "an excuse" who here is saying "well this is just terrible but we can't hold those behind this responsible, I blame their religion not them"?

Clearly no one is, pointing to the role of religion explains why it's a crime to touch a certain book with dirty hands in pakistan, it in no way excuses it.

Do they now? I would disagree with that. There have been many non-religious psychopaths who have done unthinkable things.

In how many societies not subject to a highly intolerant ideology such as Islam is it a crime to touch a book, even if you own it, with dirty hands?

Of course all societies have psychopaths in some societies however the "psychopaths" would seem to be in the majority.

I don't believe it is. The loud and aggressive actions of a minority may make it appear as though they are the majority but it is not so.

According to a 2005 research paper by Pew

70% of Pakistanis see themselves as "Muslim First"

94% favoured Islam having a growing role in Politics

51% had "a lot or some" confidence in Bin Laden as a world leader

44% thought Suicide bombings and other acts violence of against civilian targets in defence of Islam was often/sometimes or rarely justified

What was that about a "small minority"?

Do you honestly think the varieties of Islam being promulgated in Pakistan have nothing to do with those attitudes displayed by pluralities, majorities and overwhelming majorities of Pakistani Muslims?

The point is it's Pakistani legislature, not Islamic law.

The point is pakistani authorities were doing nothing much about it until pressured by islamic fundamentalists and a bent copper.

Speedng is against the law here but there is no way a load of nutters could make a judge give you 25 years for it after being out on bail.

If they control the law they control the country.

Archived