Reignhead(Ellis) Barn Beighton, demolition due

I am pleased to say that there is a great deal of support in the village for the preservation of the Barn. We have now started a petition that has attracted over 200 names in the first few days of its publication. If you would like to sign the petition please PM me and I will make arrangements.

I am pleased to say that there is a great deal of support in the village for the preservation of the Barn. We have now started a petition that has attracted over 200 names in the first few days of its publication. If you would like to sign the petition please PM me and I will make arrangements.

Sorry Lostrider I only answered half your question. The Barn is situated on Robin Lane and is set back a little from the road opposite the Fox Inn. The main barn which is at least 250 years old is part obscured by later less attractive additions.

That looks like a crook barn to me. Here is a picture of my Brother In laws Barn in Eckington. This is listed with English Heritage.

Crook Barn

I cant see why you cant get this listed.

It looks like avery good example of a Crook Barn.

I have joined your facebook group. I am not from Beighton but most of my family are. I will try and get them to join the facebook group.

I would like to sign your petition.

That looks like a crook barn to me. Here is a picture of my Brother In laws Barn in Eckington. This is listed with English Heritage.

Crook Barn

I cant see why you cant get this listed.

It looks like avery good example of a Crook Barn.

I have joined your facebook group. I am not from Beighton but most of my family are. I will try and get them to join the facebook group.

I would like to sign your petition.

Thanks for your interest. We have actually made an application to English Heritage for a listing but obviously are not certain of what the outcome will be. Meanwhile the council are still able to go ahead with their plans if they so wish. If listing is not granted then we still need to fight to preserve the structure.

We have a number of copies of the petition around the village for signing. The Beighton Garage (petrol station) opposite the Royal Oak on High Street has a copy as does the Coop on Manvers road. If you have any trouble finding a copy to sign please PM me.

I thought I would update you on the progress of our campaign to save the barn. Our petition has grown to near 400 in a week and our efforts have finally been noticed by the politicians and councillors with Clive Betts now offering his support to our campaign. (see his press release below). As a result of this radio sheffield and the yorkshire post have both shown interest.

PRESS RELEASE FROM OFFICE OF CLIVE BETTS MP

Reignhead Farm, Beighton Village, Sheffield

Clive Betts MP (Sheffield Attercliffe) and Beighton Councillor Helen Mirfin-Boukouris have added their support to local residents in Beighton by asking English Heritage to give urgent consideration to the possibility of listing the Winnowing Barn at Reignhead Farm, Beighton Village, Sheffield.

Clive Betts said:

“There are very few historical buildings left in Beighton. I know that many local residents believe that, if possible, the Winnowing Barn should be renovated and not demolished.

I have written to English Heritage to add my support to the request that it gives urgent consideration to listing the building.”

Helen Mirfin-Boukouris said:

“Rumours are rife that the City Council is looking to relocate surrounding allotments with a view to developing the whole site. It is vital that the City Council comes clean about its whole intentions for Reignhead Farm.”

Clive Betts added:

“It is little surprise that local residents are suspicious. They have noticed how, without any consultation, the City Council has recently tried to sell playing-fields at Crystal Peaks for offices and playing-fields at Woodhouse Mill for a road development. In both cases, it has only been the united opposition of local people that has brought a halt to these plans.”

Before you call for lots of action from SF'ers can you post some reasons and some images to demonstrate why you think this farm building is worthy of a listing that the owners don't want? Ther eis nothing on the internet that shows why it should be pickled in aspic and the proposals should be shelved.

Do Clive Betts and Helen Mirfin-Boukouris know what they have put their name to? They seem to like creating rumours more than facts from your quotes.

Hi Tony if you look back through the thread you will see a link to pics that I have already posted. My view is that although I am in favour of progress and things evolving we have to have some history to remember where we have come from. This is probably the last piece of agricultural heritage left in the village and if that was my reason alone, then worth preserving.

As for Clive Betts and Helen Mirfin-Boukouris I have no wish for our campaign to become Political, I wish to save the barn and if they bring publicity to that then so be it.

Archived