Three Valleys Beer Festival - Saturday 17th July 2010, various venues

Andy C

I'm also wondering wether to do the whole crawl or just stay at the C&H. It's a bit of dilemma for me!

P.S Marble "Pint" is a very good beer, even if it can be confusing ordering a pint of Pint from the bar! I've heard very good things about their Manchester pub as well.

Its even more confusing ordering a half of pint...

Remember the Coach will 'only' have 13 beers on at a time and when one beer runs out a different one from the list will go on.

I would suggest the pubs with beers of interest other than the Coach will be the Jolly Farmer, Hearty Oak, Fleur de Lys and Castle Inn.

Some of the other pubs will have other interesting things going on, for example live music at the Horns, the hot pork sarnies at the George and the charity do at the Miners.

The three pubs in Holmesfield you can walk between and in Totley the Cross Scythes is only over the road from the Fleur so you can easily do both in the hour between buses.

Its also walkable between the Miners Arms and the Hearty Oak.

If you are just doing an edited highlights crawl don't forget those two extra buses in the afternoon doing the route in the opposite direction

Beer list for the George & Dragon, Holmesfield

Tetley Bitter

Oakwell Barnsley Bitter

Peak Ales Bakewell Best Bitter

Peak Ales Chatsworth Gold

Peak Ales Summer Sovereign

Hot roast sandwiches will be available outside.

If you haven't tried the beer from Barlow Brewery this is a small new brewery on a farm in the village of Barlow (between Holmesfield and Chesterfield), their beers are quite nice and two of them will be on in the Miners Arms.

I would suggest the pubs with beers of interest other than the Coach will be the Jolly Farmer, Hearty Oak, Fleur de Lys and Castle Inn.

I might be inclined to suggest that all the pubs taking part will have interesting beers! :D

We've had a change of plan, we're now getting the train to Dore and heading to the Castle for starters because the Dore member of our group can't make a 12.30 start.

Then it will be the beer bus to the Coach and Horses and then who knows.

I suspect we'll walk from Dronfield to Dronfield Woodhouse and then on to Holmesfield.....We will need some exercise.

The beer bus is a great idea and what sold this festival to the 4 of us.

Regards

Doom

We've had a change of plan, we're now getting the train to Dore and heading to the Castle for starters because the Dore member of our group can't make a 12.30 start.

Then it will be the beer bus to the Coach and Horses and then who knows.

I suspect we'll walk from Dronfield to Dronfield Woodhouse and then on to Holmesfield.....We will need some exercise.

The beer bus is a great idea and what sold this festival to the 4 of us.

Regards

Doom

Sounds sensible, the train fare to Dore is quite cheap and its only a 10 minute walk up to the Castle, and you should get there before the crowds. Try the Steel City Independence Day Pale Ale, its incredibly hoppy.

I would get the bus from Dronfield to Dronfield Woodhouse but its an easy walk from there to Holmesfield.

Sounds sensible, the train fare to Dore is quite cheap and its only a 10 minute walk up to the Castle, and you should get there before the crowds. Try the Steel City Independence Day Pale Ale, its incredibly hoppy.

I would get the bus from Dronfield to Dronfield Woodhouse but its an easy walk from there to Holmesfield.

Thanks for the feedback Andy, being a bit of a hop monster myself I think the Independence Day sounds right up my street.

I would normally go for the Hardcore IPA, but as it's likely to be a long day I don't think a 9.2% beast would be such a good idea. :hihi:

The weather looks to be set fair so it should be a good day......Let's hope it gets the turnout the organisers deserve.

I attended my 1st ever Sunfest up at the Rising Sun last week.....I couldn't believe how many people were there and the range of beers available.....The Wobbly Bob was a particular favourite. :hihi:

Regards

Doom

The beer list for the Jolly Farmer is now available:

Bumble Beer Wentworth 4.3

A delicious Honey Beer made with the finest local Honey. Golden colour

Silver King Ossett 4.3

Our flagship brew and winner of many beer festivals. A lager-style beer with a crisp, dry flavour and citrus fruity aroma ideal for drinking anytime.

Paradise Pale Sheffield Brewery Co 4.1

This beautiful light hoppy best bitter was runner-up in its category at the Sheffield CAMRA Beer Festival (2008). A grapefruit aroma carries through to the finish.

Green Bullet IPA Acorn 5.0

Fifth in the series showcasing New Zealand hops. Citrus and subtle spiciness on the aroma are gained from this hop.

Farmers Blonde Bradfield 4.0

A very pale, brilliant blonde beer with citrus and summer fruit aromas. An extremely refreshing ale

Farmers Stout Bradfield

A dark enriched "black & white" stout. Balanced by ploughing through roasted malts and flaked oats with a slightly bland but bitter hop character

Ruby Mild Rudgate 4.4

Nutty rich ruby ale stronger than usual for a mild. Memorable. SILVER MEDAL WINNER CAMRA WINTER BEER FESTIVAL 2002

Easy Rider Kelham Island 4.3

Easy Rider is a smooth, easy drinking premium strength pale ale with a pleasant hoppy character.

Pride Of Sheffield Kelham Island 4.0

A full flavoured amber bitter. English Fuggles hops predominates leaving a beer which is pleasant on the palate.

Moonshine Abbeydale 4.3

Pale, premium beer with some bitterness and beautifully balanced flavours

Magnum PA Naylors 4.2

A light crisp pale ale, Brewed using magnum hops giving subtle fruitiness with crisp bitterness. ‘A real thirst quencher’.

Challenger IPA Copper Dragon 4.4

A traditional premium ale, full bodied and fruity with subtle hoppy undertones

We're meeting friends from Derby & Donny @ the tap then heading off for the train to Dronfield:D

I'm hoping that the Dark Star expresso stout & Marble ginger is on at the same time!! Not sure we're going to make it past the Coach & Horses :hihi:

Just to let everyone now we are open from 12pm with:

Classic American car show (including an authentic US Police car, Chevvy Commera and Dodge pick-ups)

Bouncy castle for the kids

Outdoor (weather permitting) Country and Western mobile disco

and a US themed open BBQ......

Plus All day menu served as normal (12-9pm) plus our

NEIL DIAMOND TRIBUTE ACT from 8pm......NOT TO BE MISSED!!!!

and of course the 5 cask ales will be served all day :)

Look forward to seeing you all soon,

Team Hearty.

Archived