Gordon Brown : liar liar pants on fire

Except he didn't lie.

Brown is too clever for that. He was well prepared for that line of questioning and gave a truthful answer. It may appear misleading to those not involved in what went on between the Treasury and MOD, but there is no evidence he lied.

So you are saying that everyone else is lying and Gordon Brown is the only one telling the truth?

It's a shame Cameron and his cohorts are such a bunch of slippery and self serving liars as well. I can't really imagine any of them acting any differently, under the same circumstances. Anyone who says they would, is either extremely naive, or campaigning on behalf of their own narrow interests.

You seem to be admitting that Brown lied to the inquiry. It isn't really relevant what someone else might have done. That is mere speculation. What isn't speculation is Brown's performance before Chilcot. As the reports start to be made his lies are not going unreported.

I would like to see the former Defence Chiefs at the time of the Iraq War called before the Chilcott Inquiry, and asked if all defence requests for extra kit and troops were met by the Government/Treasury. That would put on public record what they have been saying to the press, and would very publicy contradict the PM.

Requoted for truth

General Lord Walker, chief of the defence staff from 2003 to 2006, has said that defence chiefs threatened to resign over the cuts they had to make because of the 2004 settlement.

Mr Brown insisted that the chiefs had been happy with that budget.

"The spending review of 2004 was welcomed by the chiefs of our defence staff,” he said. “They were satisfied at the end of the review that they had the resources they needed.”

That claim has been challenged by senior military figures, with one former head of the Armed Forces calling it “disingenuous.”

“To say Gordon Brown has given the military all they asked for is simply not true,” Lord Guthrie, a former chief of the defence staff, writes in The Daily Telegraph.

“He cannot get away with saying I gave them everything they asked for, that is simply disingenuous.

A senior military figure involved in the 2004 spending talks said Mr Brown’s claims were “nonsense.”

The commander said: “To say it was ‘welcome’ is to use a great deal of poetic licence.

“To say the outcome of that process was ‘welcome’ is frankly hyperbole.”

Major General Patrick Cordingley, a commander in the first Gulf War, said: “The real truth is the Armed Forces are underfunded.”

The inquiry has also heard from Geoff Hoon, the former defence secretary, that he had to make “difficult cuts” as a result of the spending settlement he received from Mr Brown’s Treasury in 2004.

And Sir Kevin Tebbit, the former permanent secretary at the MoD, has said Mr Brown “guillotined” his budget and left him operating a “crisis budget”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iraq/7378681/Iraq-inquiry-Army-big-guns-attack-Gordon-Browns-defence-budget-claims.html

Are they all lying or is Gordon Brown? It can't be both.

Interesting none of them actually quote any figures.

A Guardian story from 2004 - the spending problems appear largely to stem from BAE over running on budgets.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2004/jan/23/military.immigrationpolicy1

I would like to see the former Defence Chiefs at the time of the Iraq War called before the Chilcott Inquiry, and asked if all defence requests for extra kit and troops were met by the Government/Treasury. That would put on public record what they have been saying to the press, and would very publicy contradict the PM.

What presumptuousness!! You'll be asking for Iraqi's to give evidence next.

You seem to be admitting that Brown lied to the inquiry. It isn't really relevant what someone else might have done. .

What do you mean I'm 'admitting' it? Is it not clear to you i'm no fan of Brown? If I had said Stalin killed 3 million Russians, would that also an admission on my part?

By the amount of threads attacking the Labvour party the OP has started in the last week, it's pretty obvious he is using the Forum for negative campaigning on behalf of the Tories. What I'd like to know is, has he not got anything good to say about his own party? What are the reasons we should vote Tory, as opposed to the reasons we shouldn't vote Labour?

To cover all bases I have no party. I can see a failing government and a lying PM when I see one though.

There are so many threads because they are topical.

It's just as well then. A man like yourself - who is ready to be candid about where he stands - would have nothing in common with the slippery and evasive machinations of the Tory Party leadership.

Archived