Lowering Sheffield speed limits to 25 mph

Lower speed limits ?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Lower speed limits ?

• 25 mph seems like a good idea
    • Even lower, 20 mph
    • Less than 20 mph
    • 30 mph is just fine for me

How well would it go down? Road safety would improve and we would get more volume from the available road network so we might increase the average speed and reduce journey times.

Would you be happy to reduce the urban speed limit to 25 mph in Sheffield?

How about reducing it even further to 20 mph?

How well would it go down? Road safety would improve and we would get more volume from the available road network so we might increase the average speed and reduce journey times.

No. Efficiency would improve if people paid more attention and were more considerate of other drivers. Forcing people to crawl around at 20mph will do anything but reduce journey times.

I've no problems with the existing 20 mph limits, when I use them. (I'm familiar with the ones at Tinsley and near Nether Edge/Sharrow. I would be happy with similar limits on similar types of roads in other areas - ie those where factors such as children, lots of parked cars with narrow lanes between etc). The biggest problems are with the traffic calming. I know it was part of the requirement for the existing 20mph areas, but I think that it might not be a legal requirement in future.

As average speed cameras become commoner/cheaper, maybe we will see them on urban streets, and sleeping policemen etc will no longer be necessary.

I've no problems with the existing 20 mph limits, when I use them. (I'm familiar with the ones at Tinsley and near Nether Edge/Sharrow. I would be happy with similar limits on similar types of roads in other areas - ie those where factors such as children, lots of parked cars with narrow lanes between etc).

Thing is people should be doing that anyway, regardless of a sign telling them they have to.

Obviously people should (or shouldn't) be doing a lot of things on the roads but that they don't (or do) do.

The computer on my car tells me that my average speed around Sheffield in the week is a mere 16 mph. I wonder what effect a lower limit would have on that. Transport planners tell us that slowing traffic down on motorways actually speeds up journey times.

Guest sibon
Link to some evidence please.

There is

, which is presumably based upon solid evidence. That coupled with the fact that the Kinetic Energy of the car varies with velocity squared, would seem to suggest that it is a reasonable assumption that reducing average speeds would make our roads safer.

Is there any evidence that it would also improve journey times?

How about everyone walking :suspect: Then there'd be an infinitesimal (sp?) increase in available road network and no road related deaths or injuries ;)

Are you crazy?

No one goes 30 as it is, it wouldn't make any difference.

And as for safety, I bet most road deaths are caused by idiot pedestrians who don't look where they're walking.

Archived