Lowering Sheffield speed limits to 25 mph

Lower speed limits ?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Lower speed limits ?

• 25 mph seems like a good idea
    • Even lower, 20 mph
    • Less than 20 mph
    • 30 mph is just fine for me

My car will run at 30 in 5th gear but under that speed means changing down with resulting higher revs using more fuel.

If this is a serious post, driving in 5th at 30mph would cause more stress on your engine meaning it would consume a hell of alot more fuel. Higher revs doesnt always mean more fuel being used, if you run at too low revs you can be having the same effect on you economy as running at high revs.

How well would it go down? Road safety would improve and we would get more volume from the available road network so we might increase the average speed and reduce journey times.

Would you be happy to reduce the urban speed limit to 25 mph in Sheffield?

How about reducing it even further to 20 mph?

I would be willing to have the smaller roads reduced to 25mph if the larger roads (take Penistone road as an example) had sensible speed limits (i.e 40-60mph).

I would be willing to have the smaller roads reduced to 25mph if the larger roads (take Penistone road as an example) had sensible speed limits (i.e 40-60mph).

Agreed. I think a lot of smaller roads on housing estates for example could quite happily go down to a 20 limit, but the 30 limit on Peniston road is just daft.

The lights sequence is even geared to doing 40. If you do 30 all the way you have to stop at most of the lights but doing 40 you get through most of them on green.

The idea of having to creep about everywhere at all times of day and night at 25 miles per hour is completely rediculous.

The idea of having to creep about everywhere at all times of day and night at 25 miles per hour is completely rediculous.

Do you think that is because people drive around at +35mph where the limit is 30mph?

I agree with the original statement actually Truman, I go along the M62 to Rochdale all the time and there is quite a long 50mph stretch around the Leeds/Bradford area, and I normally get stuck there in standstill traffic in rush hour. However since the speed cameras have been up, as everyone is moving at the same speed it is much easier to merge with other traffic and I find myself getting there about 10 minutes quicker than usual.

However, I do agree that this is only really beneficial in rush hour, and during the rest of the day it is seen as nothing but an inconvenience.

One of our offices isn't too far from there...are you taking into account the queue before you actually get into the roadworks section?

How well would it go down? Road safety would improve and we would get more volume from the available road network so we might increase the average speed and reduce journey times.

Would you be happy to reduce the urban speed limit to 25 mph in Sheffield?

How about reducing it even further to 20 mph?

Wow, 20 MPH, just lets leave the car at home and work there, get real.

Sorry for negativity of post, but at that speed driving and avoiding speeding fines would become impossible. I know people die from excess speed, but 20 MPH, is well, OVERKILL.

Do you think that is because people drive around at +35mph where the limit is 30mph?

i always drive above the speed limit on roads if there are no cameras and no bumps, if it is safe to do so. i also have a clean driving licence and have never knocked anyone over in 30 years of driving

i always drive above the speed limit on roads if there are no cameras and no bumps, if it is safe to do so. i also have a clean driving licence and have never knocked anyone over in 30 years of driving

Try telling that to the judge when your luck (and that of the pedestrian you kill or injure) runs out.

Try telling that to the judge when your luck (and that of the pedestrian you kill or injure) runs out.

i did say "when its safe to do so" i dont speed every time i go out in the car. I am also an advanced driver so know more than most people about when it is safe to speed and when its not

I like the law in america Jaywalking. That its illegal to cross the road at certain parts of the road and you must cross at set point of the road.

This stops people just running out from behind cars etc and I bet would make roads safer.

I know I've only just passed my test but on lessons it bugged me I had to watch the pavements aswel incase anyone tried to cross

Archived