Lowering Sheffield speed limits to 25 mph

Lower speed limits ?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Lower speed limits ?

• 25 mph seems like a good idea
    • Even lower, 20 mph
    • Less than 20 mph
    • 30 mph is just fine for me

Thats really a big thing about driving you have to be aware of your surroundings, if it bugs you that you have to be aware of what other people are doing (or not doing) then you might want to hand your license back.

if people dont look before walking out into the road ,then its their own fault if they are run over.

its always the motorist that gets the blame when someone walks into the road without looking .

ive been driving for 20 years without an accident , and in that time whats amazed me is the stupity of pedestrians .

20 mph is ok by me but I am the sort of person that is radical enough to sugest we go a lot further.

Rarther than start down this route that is open to opposition from people that are not daft enough to work out that this would be an eccological nightmare, we should start from the top and ban all new cars being abouve 1.3 cc unless it be for transport of goods or emergency veircles.

1.3 engiens now are fast enough for anything and it would help in the quest to cut speeding on motorways and car theft with the only cars fast enough to be on the road being the police.

It seems stupid with all the new look at how we thing the futer should be that we have not even concidered this solution.

If electric veircles were excempt then the buisness class would drive forward the ecconomics to drive down fual emissions. A win win situation.

Lets see if the new politics of this country are really up to change !

This will cause massive problems for delivery services and buses. Keep it at 30 and teach children more rules of the road.

People will be keeping an eye on their speedo more than the road itself.

if people dont look before walking out into the road ,then its their own fault if they are run over.

its always the motorist that gets the blame when someone walks into the road without looking .

ive been driving for 30 years without an accident , and in that time whats amazed me is the stupity of pedestrians .

Not bad for a 38 year old.

The motorist is using a deadly weapon, the pedestrian is not. That's why it is the motorist's responsibility to avoid hitting the pedestrian.

If someone literally walks out right in front of you - say, two yards - then you won't be held guilty for hitting them, but most of the time it will still be your fault. You're the one capable of killing people, so it's up to you to not kill them.

It's all very well quoting statistics as to the reduction in KSI accidents in 20mph areas and so on, but if you take it to its logical conclusion you could presumably eliminate them almost altogether by reducing it to 5 mph. The problem is that the entire country grinds to a halt and we spend all day getting to work and back. There's a balance to be struck and I'd say that 30 mph is about right.

Would the city grind to a halt? Would there be any noticeable difference in journey times?

According to the AA the average speed in Sheffield is 19mph. That includes everything from dead end side roads, dual carriageways. At peak that lowers to around 10mph - the same as it was 100 years ago with horses.

Why not have 30mph for all the main arterial roads inc the ring roads and 20mph for all the others. We all think we're going to get home quicker the faster we go, but we just end-up in another queue ! - short journeys are only reduced by minutes.

How quick we get from A to B is all about traffic flows and the council needs to look at how these can be improved.

Remember the main cause of accidents is not speed but "inattention" (phones/chatting etc etc). When you're speeding it just goes wrong in a big way !

Anything that reduces road deaths/injuries has to be actioned, it could be you, me or a loved one !

How quick we get from A to B is all about traffic flows and the council needs to look at how these can be improved.

They do their humble best, but a city the size of Sheffield is far too big, and has far too many roads, to keep traffic flowing in all the different directions that people want to go.

(Although whether their humble best is anywhere near as good as it could be, is still open to debate...)

Anything that reduces road deaths/injuries has to be actioned, it could be you, me or a loved one !

Up to a point; only up to a point. Someone has already mentioned that you could reduce the number of road deaths to zero by banning all vehicles, but nobody would think that was a sensible option.

Sorry I got this out of sequence to a previous post!

Reducing speeds increases road capacity because you don't need the same braking distanc, not that many drivers leave one a) because they annoyingly swerve into gaps left on dual carriageways and b) 'cos i try not to let them !!!

I partially agree that the number of junctions slow progress down and poor road design is to blame - but this post is about speed limits.

Anyway nice to see that the authorities are on he case with increased advertising and monitoring - Oh they aren't are they !

Yes I do try to walk for trips of less than a mile, but there's our lovely weather to consider !

Archived