Fish eating your feet at Meadowhall

I also wanna have a go as I have eczema. But I read the following about health threats to customers:

However, the treatment was recently banned in 14 states in America, and some opponents argue that it should not be allowed anywhere.

“Fish pedicures are dirty and dangerous and a serious risk to one’s health,” said Jeffrey Klein, a New York senator who has been campaigning to outlaw the practice in the city. “I want to put an end to this hazardous practice before it becomes the next big trend.”

The therapy’s American opponents argue that the use of doctor fish breaches rigorous health regulations that licensed cosmetologists must otherwise meet. The rules compel salons to throw away or sanitise tools after each use, but epidermis-eating fish are too expensive to discard and so are used repeatedly.

Health officials fear the fish could spread infections to customers through open wounds or that a customer’s tiny nicks could become infected.

Klein has prepared legislation to prevent their use in New York, but already states such as Texas and Florida have taken action against the freshwater fish, first introduced to the US in 2008. In Ireland, however, there are no rules governing their use and numerous businesses are offering the service.

I am still weighing pros and cons, any discussion on this?

Also found this:

So, why the fish pedicure warning?

Health officials are concerned about the growing phenomenon of fish pedicures. According to officials, a fish pedicure can cause tiny nicks or scratches on the skin which have the potential to become infected with bacteria and fungus.

These fish are kept in non-chlorinated water which could be a source of bacteria and fungi that could lead to foot infections. So concerned are health officials about the growing phenomenon of fish pedicures that they’ve been banned in many states and other states plan to follow suit.

A fish pedicure is considered to be a luxury in the spas that offer it; but there’s concern about how the small fish are treated. To make them more efficient at performing their job, the fish are given little food – motivating them to attack the dead skin tissue on feet with more enthusiasm.

Even upscale spas in the Washington D.C. and New York City area are capitalizing on this trend, although New York senator Jeff Klein is working towards banning this practice both for its health risks and the inhumane treatment of the fish. This could be a problem for the salon owners who have invested heavily in these fish which cost up to four dollars each.

What will be the fate of this unusual practice? Will getting a fish pedicure go the way of other ill-fated beauty trends? Many health officials are hoping so and endorse a fish pedicure warning.

• 5 months later...
My brother-in-law went to an equivalent place in Luton, and said it was a terrific experience. If you have problems with athletes' foot, or flaky dried skin on your feet, it's probably a great idea.

Yes it is as you can pass the diesease to the next few customers

• 2 weeks later...