Please be careful when choosing your wedding photographer

Sorry to hear about your wedding photo's tinkerbell-rose .. Cant you ask him for compensation?

Wedding photography is a saturated business at the moment and you have to be really carefull who you book!!

A lot are setting up and working weekends along side another job .. they have little experience and 9 times out of 10 no insurance. Its ok having a dozen or so nice wedding pictures to show clients but you really need to see the full weddings to get an idea of the quality of work the photographer churns out.

My advice to anyone looking for a photographer.. Are they in a professional body? The Britsh Institute of Professional photography and The master Photographers association are really good .. the photographer as to follow a strict code of conduct.. be fully insured and you can also check theyre registered on the websites.

When viewing the photographers work .. make sure you see at least 2 or 3 full weddings ( I keep all my recent ones online for anyone to view ) .. ask for references from other clients.

Make sure they have the full contact details online ..including the address.. I'm often suspicious about photographers that put up a mobile number and thats it .. a geniune professional will include land line and address.

Its a scarey business.. your wedding is the most important day of your life.. so take that little bit of extra time making sure you have the right person for the job.

• 2 weeks later...

that's why i haven't posted it on here ;):D:hihi:

Princess

i didn't have wedding insurance , maybe i should have i don't no but cant really change it now. even if i did have it wouldn't have made me feel any better i wasn't going to get those pictures back.

ms_ tetley

i sent him an email in the end, i tried not to get to arsey because i didn't want him to turn round and say i couldn't have them at all then, then i would have had nothing even if i do hate them, least i can still look at them if i want to.

when my husband went down tell him which photos we wanted in our book album i told him to tell him he better make it look good as the pictures were not what i asked for and was upset. he ended up just giving us all of the pictures he showed us on disc and that was it. which wasn't in the price . i dread to think what the pictures he didn't show me looked like.

thank you for that advice wish there had been someone like you to advise when i was looking at the time booking everything.

i think its the same with every business you really honestly don't no what your getting until you wedding day. just 1 of the risks you have to take.

everyone i know who's getting wed i tell them to make sure you investigate every single company.

by the way ms tetley your pictures are lovely, I'm pretty sure i emailed you for my daughters christening last year but you were booked that date.

enjoy your weddings ladies, investigate every company but take every single thing in because before you know it its over in a flash. congrats to all and good luck xxxxx

I got married in summer, our photographer seemed to be a genuine guy, took some really lovely shots.

Ist of all he never turned up to the evening reception, we found out a week later he had to take his little boy to hospital

2nd once we had decided on the pictures for our album, he said the layout would be woth us in 2-3 weeks, 7 weeks later we got the layout

3rd got an email the week before christmas saying out album would be ready christmas eve, i was so excited because it was my 1st christmas off in 7 years and we were seeing both families. No album

4th mid of january (its a 200 mile round trip to my mums and where the photographer is based) my mum gets a text saying he is going to pick it up and will contact us on the sat evening to arrnage meeting to get the album so i head to my mums. No contact

We look in the local paper and he has been sused by a couple for him taking 18 months to get the album to them

5th our solictor gets involved, no responce

6th last week i get an email out the blue, saying he has gone into admistration and the printers are holding my album until they get some money

7th my solictor gets an email yesterday saying we should have the album, a free canvas and 20 extra prints by next weekend!!!!

Only time will tell!!!!

9 months and counting!!!!

The story to be contined

Hi All,

tinkerbell-rose.....

Your post made me really angry, on behalf of all honest, hard-working photographers out there in Sheffield!

This idiot you employed clearly doesn't need the work or respect his profession.

Have you thought about an 'anniversary shoot'? Maybe somewhere you both love, Peak District, Botanical Gardens etc....that way at least you'll have a lovely set of images you really can treasure!

Anyway, I wanted to also agree whole heartedly with AHPhotography. Any blushing bride & groom shouldn't be afraid to ask as many questions as possible of a would-be photographer. Personally? I try and anticipate any questions before-hand so as to be prepared.

I always insist on bringing samples with me, once I'm sure the couple enquiring have checked out my website first.

The other thing I insist on, is a contract, signed by myself & clients (both have copies). Nothing heavy or that will lose your house over, just sets out the basics and lets both parties feel covered. Peace of mind really!

I also have 2-3 previous couples that will testify & indeed speak with potential clients if need be to re-asure them of my skills & customer service.

Anyway, I didn't mean this to be a rant or advert! sorry!

Take Care

Matt

Archived