Memories of growing up in 80s Sheffield...

JBee

Were you a child growing up in 1980s Sheffield?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Were you a child growing up in 1980s Sheffield?

• Yes, I was an 80s child, complete with poodle perm!
    • MY children were 80s kids (making me a bit old!)
    • I'm in me twilight years and too senile to remember the 80s.
    • I'm freshly hatched and far too young to remember the 80s

Sheffield in the 80s was great, everything cheap...

There was Racoms (or alternative spelling), Cole Brothers (as most of us still call it), Redgates, large avenues in the City Centre, a hole in a road, a large grassed garden next to Pinstone Street (now a concrete slab surface thing).

It were the bomb, you have to get away from City centre to still have this 'Sheffield' feeling :(

Originally posted by JBee

Does anybody remember the glass lift in the big Co-op?

God, yes, vaguely. Something's swimming back from over the years. It fills the same space in my mind as 'Hamleys' which lasted about 7 months, if I remember rightly.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember the buses being red, brown and beige, the bendy buses, the fountain at the top of Fargate, particularaly at Christmas - munching on mint tooty fruity squares, which you can't get anymore.

I used to go to bonfire nights at Endcliffe park, where they used to make a big deal of it - and wearing those headbands which had 2 little foil windmills that used to bow round and round.

As little kids, we used to wear ear muffs - sometimes fluffy but one of mine was a dog's face and the other was the dog's behind.

Also having those Shee-ra dolls, Keepers and Cabbage Patch kid/ Rainbow bright dolls.

Can you remember these kind's rhymes? Pepsi cola, pepsi cola, here we go, I'm gonna hyptnotize you, (repeat) 'till you fall, we're going high, we're going low, we're going fast, we're going slow, so come on baby, let's go go go!

AlsWe used to also play Cops and Robbers in the playground to!

Originally posted by Captain_Scarlet

"Heaven is like Matlock in the clouds."

Sorry? Hullo? Hehehehe. Are you not going to post on the Heaven or Hell thread, Capt S m8e, with this new and frankly challenging viewpoint?

Mind, we were about to go out for a wander across some moors. Maybe we'll head for Matlock and feed the fish and fund the arcade owners' winter in Spain instead in the happy thought that we're indulging in something heavenly. Not that I've owt agin Matlock, mind, just tickled by your sig.

:P

Originally posted by scoop

Do you mean the paddling pools, I remember them with water in, we used to have a fantastic time in there, I can't understand why they can't be revamped.

i remember playing in the paddeling pools too, there were often so many people there that there was nowhere to sit on the grass.

The sun always seemed to shine in the 1980s.

i remember Sheffield in the 80's, the place to be (early 80's anyway).

Rara skirts, batwing tops, rebina shoes & X-clothes.

Hanging out in pond street with my shaggy perm & cats eyes.

Remember the ice cream jackets, jeans with a red or white line down the side & certain pubs that let you in no matter how young you were like the Cannon, Marples & Bario.

I also remember the Millhouses Lido & miners wives.

Can anyone remember Maces pet shop near the markets & the Miner bird that use to swear & chat to you?

i was an 80's child

i remember the rush down to Redgates at every birthday to buy the latest Transformer.

i remember the smell of fish as you entered Sheaf Market.

the tape stall just inside the enterance of Castle markets.

the labyrinth of clothes stalls also in Castle Market, going to Harringtons for cheap(er) jeans and stuff.

anyone remember the fountain thing outside the old eggbox xouncil offices in the peace gardens-playing stepping stones across it ???

and the scale model of sheffield in the same building?

i remember the YEB showroom just off the hole in the road. always seemed to be in there with my mum for some reason, perhaps that is how the 'leccy bill was paid in those days!

the toilets in the hole in the road,

the toilets in the subway what used to link high street with the top of the moor, where Mcdonalds is..

anyone remember the brilliant santas grotto at the co-op opposite the law courts. it was great, sit on santas lap,choose a gift, ride in the 'magical' moving sledge (when in reality it was just some cheap moving pictures on either side of the room !

reading all this nostalgia is making me want to come home to sheff !

• 2 months later...

The 80's were the happiest days of my life. My main memories are -

Rebina shoes - I had a rara skirt too

Getting up early morning to go to the 'shoe market' (outside Sheaf Market)

Josephines on a Monday night was FAB then to Chubbys after at 2.00am

Steelys and Romeo and Juliets nightclubs

Shalamar, Imagination and 'Murphy's Law' (who sang that??)

Wearing those beaded headband things around my forehead (for clubbing)

ABC Cinema

Mega cheap bus fayres

Working part time as a waitress at Scoffers Restaurant on West Street (now the Sahib Indian). Can anyone remember their famous 'Beef Rib'? If you could eat it all, you didn't have to pay. No one managed it as far as I'm aware...

Does anyone know when they do those 80's nights at the City Hall??? LOL....

Archived