Memories of growing up in 80s Sheffield...

JBee

Were you a child growing up in 1980s Sheffield?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Were you a child growing up in 1980s Sheffield?

• Yes, I was an 80s child, complete with poodle perm!
    • MY children were 80s kids (making me a bit old!)
    • I'm in me twilight years and too senile to remember the 80s.
    • I'm freshly hatched and far too young to remember the 80s

Originally posted by adventurer

The 80's were the happiest days of my life. My main memories are -

Working part time as a waitress at Scoffers Restaurant on West Street (now the Sahib Indian). Can anyone remember their famous 'Beef Rib'? If you could eat it all, you didn't have to pay. No one managed it as far as I'm aware...

I remember Scoffers and the 'Rib' but the free offer must have come in at a later date - like you said it was a real plateful, but my late father in law, who could eat for England, always had one when we used to go, and he always cleaned his plate. If I remember it was one of the few places at that time that was open on a Sunday afternoon - rare back then.

Originally posted by Maddy

I remeber the escalators that went from near the old boots (?) down into the hole in the road.

I had totally forgotten about those!

I remember wearing the new stretch jeans (drainpipes), of course with the luminous lime/yellow/pink socks and rebina shoes, with a red Harrington jacket. I'll also admit to wearing yellow dungarees with the trousers turned up and 3inch stilletoes. :gag:

I got a Saturday job at the checkout at International Stores (now Somerfield) at Broomhill - this is before the electronic tills and barcodes- where we had to use the shop tannoy to query prices. My mates would often peel off the price tickets and buy dubious items so I'd have to announce the query to all and sundry!!

I'd blow my wages doing the crawl of Fox & Duck,York Hotel and South Seas or going into town to Romeos and Juliets or Sinatras.

Now I feel old. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I remember -

Redgates

Harringtons market stall (trousers and jeans) and having to climb a ladder to go into the loft in order to try them on ???

2p bus fares anywhere

The travelling sports van that visited the Bole Hills every summer, complete with Lacrose equipment ?

Bad Snow

Arthur Huntchinson & Yorkshire Ripper !

Sammy (deaf and dumb wednesdayite)

Christie's nightclub (Tony Christies place underneath the South Stand at Hillsborough)

Fusty Clips (flicking peoples ears)

Hanging around Fargate on a Sat afternoon.

Listening at the back door of City Hall when a gig was on, A-Ha and Tears for Fears (Oh the shame)

Thinking Hallam Towers was amazing ?

Smart R's jeans

Ice Jeans with free keyring !

Tank Tops

Mohair Jumpers

Going to the ABC cinema every Sat, then to Romeo and Juliets kids disco (circa 1981) from 12 til 3 I think

God what a time to grow up, when I think back & tell my kids (10 & 13) what is was like, they laugh. Then when there grandparents tell them what thet had / did (had nowt, played we nowt. No money so made own entertainment, nugh said!)

Yes we had the miners strike, boom & bust economy, & the rest of it but I know we had a good time without the peer presure that kids have now, I think we had it good.

50p Saturday mornings at the ABC

Watching my mate nearly kill himself after betting me he could ride my bike down the Donkey Hill in Firth Park (He almost did it too, death wobble set in when he got to the bottom)

Buying computer games in a shop near the Wicker (I'm sure it was called Quadrophenia)

Building our own BMX bikes from parts we came across

Tarzan swings in the woods

Having to buy a 2p platform ticket to watch the trains at Midland Station

The bonfire in Firth Park

Exploring the derelict houses when I lived at Lower Manor

Making dens

Quattro fizzy pop from Woollies on the Moor

Mr Wimpy walking up and down the Moor

Santa at the big Co-op (still got a photo of myself there to see him)

Scollops for 5p from the chippy on Fairleigh (Hague's?)

Those were the days :D

Archived