The Old Sheffield Gay Scene in the 1990’s

I was just reading something on the net about Attercliffe and started to think back to the old days as a teenager when I discovered the gay scene in Attercliffe. I remember the first bar I visited was Barcelona and with every drink you bought you got 50p of the club entry price for the planet across the road. When you got to the planet you had to ring a bell and a bouncer would look through a spy hole and ask what you want and then you had to say you wanted to come in (if my memory serves me correct). I remember when a mini bus was put on to take people from Club XS to Manhattans, Barcelona and the club and if you ran out of cash they would take you to a ATM up the road.

Wonder what ever happened to all those people…

• 2 years later...
I was just reading something on the net about Attercliffe and started to think back to the old days as a teenager when I discovered the gay scene in Attercliffe. I remember the first bar I visited was Barcelona and with every drink you bought you got 50p of the club entry price for the planet across the road. When you got to the planet you had to ring a bell and a bouncer would look through a spy hole and ask what you want and then you had to say you wanted to come in (if my memory serves me correct). I remember when a mini bus was put on to take people from Club XS to Manhattans, Barcelona and the club and if you ran out of cash they would take you to a ATM up the road.

Wonder what ever happened to all those people…

barceloa, manhatten dance floor, planet nightclub the cossack, club xcess . great times remember them with a smile not a tear. glad im not in my twenties now had the best time i think cheaper for one thing places to go. great night out. what a shame.

barceloa, manhatten dance floor, planet nightclub the cossack, club xcess . great times remember them with a smile not a tear. glad im not in my twenties now had the best time i think cheaper for one thing places to go. great night out. what a shame.

Yeah I’d not wanna be young now, back in them days a tenner was all you needed for a good night and pullin was proper easy ;)

need more than a tenner now for a night out just shows how much things have gone up. last time i went in affinity drinks were near three pounds a pint. demepsys not much cheaper hence why i dont go in and club xcess has closed for gone. i feel sorry for the younger guys because its far to dear now no wounder they are on online websites but just not the same not mixing and inpersonal. i know times change but its far from the better. i meet loads of people fun times. it also brought in money into attercliffe not just the gays pubs but straight pubs got trade to. went though attercliffe yesterday its all dead most of the pubs are closed and up for sale it become a nothing place now. another plus point was i felt safer down there than in the city center even thogh it was out of the way i have read other threads on this subject i doubt anyone will put in the money for a new pub there no point in it now.

Archived