Melville Road Attercliffe

Touche

• 8 months later...

Another thread on attercliffe that I've missed!

My great grandpa lived on the next road, Ravensworth road. Like Melville Road, It ran between Broughton Lane and Carltonville Road.

My uncle lived on Melville, and my grandpa lived on Carltonville Road.

PT

• 5 years later...
Does anyone remember Melville Road just off Broughton Lane? Was there a joiners/cabinetmakers on the junction with Broughton Lane? If anyone can remember please could you let me know? Thanks

At the time your mum lived on Melville Road the "joiners/cabinet makers" was actually called Smalleys Woodyard Your mum was a few years older than me and we didn't have much contact, but I grew up with her younger siblings, to give them their full names Dorothy Jean, Hilda Mary and Geoffrey Bruce. Next to your Mum was George Arthur and Malcolm.

• 3 years later...
At the time your mum lived on Melville Road the "joiners/cabinet makers" was actually called Smalleys Woodyard Your mum was a few years older than me and we didn't have much contact, but I grew up with her younger siblings, to give them their full names Dorothy Jean, Hilda Mary and Geoffrey Bruce. Next to your Mum was George Arthur and Malcolm.

Hi, I know this is a long shot to an old post, but I lived on the corner of Melville road and Broughton lane. George Casson was my father, and my maternal grandparents lived next door, George Arthur and Elizabeth Gelsthorpe. My mum, Jean, would be very interested in any info about the people who lived around there at the time. My dad lived on Ondermund Street as a child. He was one of 5 children - george, alan, Ernest, raymond and doreen casson. My mum was one of 4 - dennis, audrey, jean and lewis gelsthorpe. Many thanks.

Hi, I know this is a long shot to an old post, but I lived on the corner of Melville road and Broughton lane. George Casson was my father, and my maternal grandparents lived next door, George Arthur and Elizabeth Gelsthorpe. My mum, Jean, would be very interested in any info about the people who lived around there at the time. My dad lived on Ondermund Street as a child. He was one of 5 children - george, alan, Ernest, raymond and doreen casson. My mum was one of 4 - dennis, audrey, jean and lewis gelsthorpe. Many thanks.

Hi Debwads

It is lovely to receive your post. Your mum will remember my family very well. I lived at number 27 2 houses up from the wood yard on the other side from you, my name is Marie, my sisters were Kath, Jose, Enid and Doreen, I was one year younger than Lewis and when he came over a few years ago I met up with him.

If I remember rightly either you or one of your siblings had piano lessons with my mum Hilda, I am remembering the name Julie, but it was a long time ago. I am going through a phase at the moment researching our childhood in Carbrook and I'm sure your mum would be like me, very interested. I have managed to research some pictures of Melville Road and the adjacent street. I was only a little girl but I'm sure I remember that your grandad always wore a hat and smoked a pipe?

Only yesterday I walked on Terry Street which led up to the Rec.

Please give my best wishes to your mum I would love to talk to her about when we were kids.

Marie xx

hi dewads

remember gelsthorpe my granddad lived next door harry storer my aunty and uncle Gregory and son Gordon in next house went to school with Lewis born on cartonville road my sister Edna Bernard and my brother Stan Storer both lived on Melville Road

regards a.j

hi dewads

remember gelsthorpe my granddad lived next door harry storer my aunty and uncle Gregory and son Gordon in next house went to school with Lewis born on cartonville road my sister Edna Bernard and my brother Stan Storer both lived on Melville Road

regards a.j

Hi Alan

How are you? A few weeks ago I bought the book once round the lump by Anne Sapcote, what a great book. Reading the book has sent me off on a great journey remembering what a fantastic place Carbrook was and what a great time we all had as kids living there. I contacted Anne and actually met up with her yesterday at Ice Sheffield. She walked me up to where the entrance was from the rec to Blaco Road. Then down Terry Street. Though the junior school was demolished the infants school is still there. The original wall that went right round the two buildings is still there you may remember that this wall ran round round the back of the school and looked over into the rec. Do you remember Alan there was always an old red telephone box on the corner of Terry Street? I could go on all day.

My best wishes to you and your family.

Marie

Hi Alan

How are you? A few weeks ago I bought the book once round the lump by Anne Sapcote, what a great book. Reading the book has sent me off on a great journey remembering what a fantastic place Carbrook was and what a great time we all had as kids living there. I contacted Anne and actually met up with her yesterday at Ice Sheffield. She walked me up to where the entrance was from the rec to Blaco Road. Then down Terry Street. Though the junior school was demolished the infants school is still there. The original wall that went right round the two buildings is still there you may remember that this wall ran round round the back of the school and looked over into the rec. Do you remember Alan there was always an old red telephone box on the corner of Terry Street? I could go on all day.

My best wishes to you and your family.

Marie

hi Marie

was so nice to here from you and that you are ok, have read that book and it is a great read and brings back lots of memories I met Ann Sapcote at Banners and got a signed copy of her book there are a lot of good books out there about Carbrook/ Attercliffe and I have read most of them what a great place to spend a childhood despite grit and grime. And wish that communities today had the same camardarie that we shared with all our neighbours and school chums.

regards to all A.J

Archived