The Horseshoe, Shiregreen.

what are your memories of the [shoe]. i was a regular from 1973 to the day it closed. my name is fred hawnt and would like to hear from any of the old football or snooker lads.

We used to go in there on a Saturday night for a couple of drinks before going down to the Church Hall at St Christophers to see whatever group happened to be on that week. One that springs to mind was Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders. Lots of Sheffield groups appeared there; if that doesn`t sound to hi-falutin!

We were aged between just turned 17 and not far off 18.

Another venue was the Shiregreeen community Centre.

• 2 years later...
I often called in the Horseshoe during the war time but it was always known to us as Aphatis (spelling?) does anyone know as to how it got that name,i used to assume it was the name of a former landlord like swainies was for the Carlisle Hotel when a chap named Swain kept it in the early 1900,s

yes it was named after the landlord Afferty Remember the large hut in the yard used to show my rabbits there when I was akid 1950s we alwaysed called in the family after we had been walking sat in the yard The good old days

Noonkie/nunkie Needham, someone nicknamed Blubber whose dad always went in Hartley House, he also had a furniture shop at pitsmoor,cant remember his name.

lived on Ecclesfield Road I think.

I think they used to go in the Horseshoe too.

Nookie Needham, i had forgotten about him, i lived 2 doors away from him on Beck Road and grew up with his kids, he was a character.

Do you remember scotch John and shirley from Shirehall.

I knew a lot that went in there and that club below was it Hartley house.

Teach a man to fish and he will have to buy a license

• 5 years later...