Holts Manchester bitter can you buy it in Sheffield?

Spent 3 days in Manchester and found myself very struck with a well known local beer over there called HOLTS. It seemed to be available in almost every pub In North Manchester, very cheap as well. One of the locals described it as "poor mans Boddingtons" but I disagree as I cannot abide the taste of Manchesters legendary Boddies myself.

Just curious is anyone has seen this Manchester beer on the pub circuit here anywhere, I dont think I ever have. Its very tasty indeed and had to consume quite a few pints! In fact it took preference over Yorkshires John Smiths bitter which was in every pub there as well...

I've enjoyed a few pints of Holts before but certainly don't know of any pubs that sell it in Sheffield.

The only place you're likely to get it is somewhere like the Fat Cat, Devonshire Cat and Kelham Island.

Talking of which, I had a top night out last night (3/8) going to the Riverside, Fat Cat, Kelham Island and Fagan's.

If only all pubs were this good.

I agree - Holt's is a fantastic operation and a Manchester cult all of its own. Boddies sold out years ago, but Holt's is still independent and still made in Mcr. They've got lots of old pubs - some of which are looking a bit tired now, but often very fine buildings. Proper creamy beer in proper pubs - as they were in about 1962 (which is fine by me). Their staff always seem to be well-trained in pulling cask ale - which is not common these days.

Their beers are best drunk in their own pubs though. Dark mild or bitter are both lovely. When I've tasted the bitter as a guest beer outside Mcr (which is seldom) it's not been very good and it's been expensive. The point about Holt's is you know it's top quality but ludicrously cheap! It used to be the same price in every pub I think. They don't send much beer outside of Mcr/Cheshire/Lancs - I think they worry about quality control if it travels too far. Not seen Holt's in Sheff. Stockport and Hyde are probably the nearest outlets.

http://www.joseph-holt.com/

Oh well if anyone sees it around, let me know. A TRULY GREAT BEER! I am sure a journey of 40 miles across to Sheffield would not kill the flavour.....after all it circulates the other way more than 40 miles across to West Lancashire, North Cheshire, Cumbria, etc

Archived