Health & Safety Gone Mad

It is now a health and safety issue if you use your own car, not only on work related journeys, but going to work from home in your own car.

Employers now demand that you provide all your car documents before you can use it.

My car is Taxed, Insured and MOT'd paid by me not the company and I feel that what I do with my car (which I pay for) has nothing to do with my employer.

Your thoughts please

Guest sibon
It is now a health and safety issue if you use your own car, not only on work related journeys, but going to work from home in your own car.

Employers now demand that you provide all your car documents before you can use it.

My car is Taxed, Insured and MOT'd paid by me not the company and I feel that what I do with my car (which I pay for) has nothing to do with my employer.

Your thoughts please

Mine doesn't.

What has your employer's conditions of employment got to do with Health & Safety?

This is either you not being able to understand your employer's terms and conditions or your employer overstepping the mark in their interpretation of their responsibilities.

Don't fall into the stupid people's trap of blaming H&S.

Your thoughts please

really?

maybe bus companies will start having to show companies their documents before taking people to work too :suspect:

Your thoughts please

We have to provide our insurance details if we use our cars for business mileage.

Your thoughts please

This has been the case for ages. If you are using your car during work hours, your employer has every right to check you are insured and MOTd. They need to check that if you have or cause an accident while at work that your insurance covers it (which it won't if it doesn't include business use).

This has been the case for ages. If you are using your car during work hours, your employer has every right to check you are insured and MOTd. They need to check that if you have or cause an accident while at work that your insurance covers it (which it won't if it doesn't include business use).

It has always been the case for every company I've worked for too.

An employer has duty of care to anyone who drives for work purposes (HSAW Regs 1999) - many organisations do diddly-squat. As in any other h&s context, There must be risk assessment in place for at-work drivers.

Jobsworth?

Well around 200 die each year in the fixed working place.

A quarter or a third of fatal road crashes involve drivers-at-work - that works out at 600-800 deaths.

I am not aware of any change in the reg's that would encourage employers to pay any interest in drivers' activities to and from work but that would make some sense - if they are off work due to a crash on the way into work, they are still off work.

Whilst safe handling, ergonomic workplace design and forklift driver assessments are commonplace I can't think that at-work driver risk assessments are over-the-top h&s. And that's what the HSE came around to thinking more than 10 years ago.

Archived