Health & Safety Gone Mad

I use my car for business and have never been asked, but wouldnt have a problem if they did. Not sure I would feel the same if i didnt use my car for work-related business. As far as I am concerned, that would not be of concern to the employer

if, if and more if's, I know but...

If your business employs 5 or more, written risk assessments must be in place for the driving activities of anyone who drives for work purposes.

If the worst happens on the road whilst on business and no such RA h&S been made (I.e in your case where even the most basic checks of licence, insurance, mot, servicing have been left to chance) and no training records exist (theoretically, a risk assessment that concludes "reasonably, we need do nothing to improve anything" is an impossibility) the employer leaves the business wide open to a costly court case.

It's a good job the driving environment is quite forgiving so the "if's" don't stray into becoming "when's"

It is now a health and safety issue if you use your own car, not only on work related journeys, but going to work from home in your own car.

Employers now demand that you provide all your car documents before you can use it.

Says who ??

It is now a health and safety issue if you use your own car, not only on work related journeys, but going to work from home in your own car.

I don’t see how an employer can enforce rules on how you get to and from work, now if you are talking about parking on their property once at work that’s a different matter.

I know of someone that isn’t allowed to bring their car into our car park on medical grounds, before anyone asks whether he should be driving at all is beyond the employers responsibility

Employers now demand that you provide all your car documents before you can use it.

My car is Taxed, Insured and MOT'd paid by me not the company and I feel that what I do with my car (which I pay for) has nothing to do with my employer.

Your thoughts please

Mine doesn't, you obviously work for a very strange company. If I want to claim business miles I just have to bring in petrol receipts, they couldn't care less about anything else, why should they?

Mine doesn't, you obviously work for a very strange company. If I want to claim business miles I just have to bring in petrol receipts, they couldn't care less about anything else, why should they?

They should care about your insurance policy covering you for business use, because both you and they could be in serious trouble if it doesn't. You for driving without insurance, and they for allowing you to do so on business trips.

My car is Taxed, Insured and MOT'd paid by me not the company and I feel that what I do with my car (which I pay for) has nothing to do with my employer.

Your thoughts please

My bold

Has this actually happened to you? Or did your uncle's best friend's brother hear somebody in the pub saying this was the case?

Come on then sandie, no reply then ? Im with the "Daily mail" reader contingency. ;)

Thirded.

You had me at "Health & Safety" and "Gone mad"

Next you'll be saying "You couldn't make it up" "PC brigade... mutter mutter..."

If I want to claim business miles I just have to bring in petrol receipts, they couldn't care less about anything else, why should they?

well they might give a damn if they were pointed in the direction of a DfT/HSE document "Driving at work: managing work-related road safety."

Google it, perhaps.

The "grey fleet" - employees using their own vehicles for work - is the context in which very little has been done with even the most basic of risk assessments. The likes of local councils, health authorities, social services, Govt departments are simply ignoring the risks their employees are putting themselves at whilst driving on business.

So the regulations don't just apply to van, truck and bus drivers - driving is most dangerous thing most of us do.

Archived