Health & Safety Gone Mad

My bold

Has this actually happened to you? Or did your uncle's best friend's brother hear somebody in the pub saying this was the case?

Yes this is the case as I speak it is happening to me.

Come on then sandie, no reply then ? Im with the "Daily mail" reader contingency. ;)

No I am not a Daily Mail reader just an employee who feels that H&S has gone mad, and puts their points forward from behind a desk and do not live in the real world.

They get paid vast amounts of money only to distrupt the productivity of companies.

Whilst I will accept that controls have to be in place to protect the welfare of the employee by the employer, but we are now going to far.

My car belongs to me it is Taxed, Insured for company buisness, MOT'd and serviced by the main dealer. So in my mind I pay for it not the company I work for. The millage allowance is that that is aggreed by the HMRC.

It is now a health and safety issue if you use your own car, not only on work related journeys, but going to work from home in your own car.

Employers now demand that you provide all your car documents before you can use it.

My car is Taxed, Insured and MOT'd paid by me not the company and I feel that what I do with my car (which I pay for) has nothing to do with my employer.

Your thoughts please

if you park your car on a public road , you have no need to prove or show your employer anything , the thing is the council are on about charging for parking on company property so all documentation should be in order. just park on the road throw it back to the council to sort the traffic delays it,s just another stealth tax charging company,s to trade it is disgraceful they won,t be happy till everyones gone bust

Nudge nudge.

It is now a health and safety issue if you use your own car, not only on work related journeys, but going to work from home in your own car.

Employers now demand that you provide all your car documents before you can use it.

Says who ??

No I am not a Daily Mail reader just an employee who feels that H&S has gone mad, and puts their points forward from behind a desk and do not live in the real world.

They get paid vast amounts of money only to distrupt the productivity of companies.

Whilst I will accept that controls have to be in place to protect the welfare of the employee by the employer, but we are now going to far.

My car belongs to me it is Taxed, Insured for company buisness, MOT'd and serviced by the main dealer. So in my mind I pay for it not the company I work for. The millage allowance is that that is aggreed by the HMRC.

No, this is not a case of H&S gone mad. There are no national regulations covering travel to and from your place of work in your own vehicle.

This is either your misunderstanding of your company's regulations or your company either misinterpreting their insurer's requirements or just being over zealous.

Either way, it is NOT a Health & Safety issue.

I'm a bit confused here Sandie - you've said your employer wants to see your car documents for commuting to work (where you presumably won't be paid mileage) and you've also mentioned the HMRC business mileage allowance (#23) presumably for using your car for business? Which is it?

If the employer wants to see your documents for you commuting to work then that's none of their business quite frankly. As a point of principle I'd tell them to mind their own business. Or perhaps ask to see various business documents that are none of your business, such as the bosses contract - just in case of (insert bizarre reason here).

All they need to is look at your tax disc - you can't get one without showing MOT and insurance.

If you are using your private car for business reasons then technically you are meant to be insured for that and not just commuting. There may be some justification in asking to see your insurance docs.

There's a legal reason if you're on works business - that is, you're driving around in the course of your employment. If that's the case, and for some reason you're not insured, if you crash into someone, they can pursue a claim against your employers. If you're commuting to work, they can't. You'd be disciplined of course, if you were using your car for work trips but it wasn't insured, as I'm fairly sure there will be an internal policy on that.

If anyone asks to see any documents about how you get to work, tell them to go away.

Mine doesn't, you obviously work for a very strange company. If I want to claim business miles I just have to bring in petrol receipts, they couldn't care less about anything else, why should they?

I'm pretty sure they could have third party liability for any costs claimed against you if you cause a crash or accident while driving at work, unless you are adequately insured.

Archived