Health & Safety Gone Mad

• 3 weeks later...

Found this yesterday, its crazy.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/03/31/council-wants-jcb-to-move-mattress-115875-22150644/

"Have you ever wondered how many people it takes to move a dumped mattress? Five, according to health and safety council jobsworths - plus a three-hour risk assessment by an executive support officer, a 1.7-tonne JCB and one week to set it all up.

Bolton town hall penpushers laid down the rules after an old mattress was abandoned on an embankment. One councillor, Sean Hornby, got so fed up that he and pal Paul Richardson, 63, carried it away themselves.

Sean, 43, said: "It's health and safety gone mad. The policies are barmy. I'm not saying it was an easy job but it took us four minutes." Yet an official had earlier emailed him to say: "After carrying out the risk assessment, it is not possible to remove the mattress manually and it requires a JCB."

A council spokesman defended the ridiculous ruling and said: "An officer carried out a visual assessment and decided the most appropriate course was... mechanical equipment."

Baffled Paul added: "Risk assessment has taken over from common sense."

I use my car for business and have never been asked, but wouldnt have a problem if they did. Not sure I would feel the same if i didnt use my car for work-related business. As far as I am concerned, that would not be of concern to the employer

Do you have business use on your insurance? Or is it just social domestic and pleasure?

Please excuse my ignorance on this - that's before I start.

If I drive my car to work, and from there to different jobs - such as building sites - with the tools of the trade in the boot of the car - then why should that affect my insurance? Am I more likely to have an accident because I have tools in the boot of my car?

If I am delivering a dozen parcels to various addresses and those parcels all fit comfortably in the boot of my car, then am I more likely to have an accident because of those parcels?

Why would normal insurance not cover me if I hit someone or was hit by someone whilst making those deliveries or whatever, unless the insurance is to cover the items being carried? If I do not care about having the insurance pay for the contents of the car then why would it make any difference?

Like I said - I do not know about this sort of thing so sensible replies would be appreciated.

Please excuse my ignorance on this - that's before I start.

If I drive my car to work, and from there to different jobs - such as building sites - with the tools of the trade in the boot of the car - then why should that affect my insurance? Am I more likely to have an accident because I have tools in the boot of my car?

If I am delivering a dozen parcels to various addresses and those parcels all fit comfortably in the boot of my car, then am I more likely to have an accident because of those parcels?

Why would normal insurance not cover me if I hit someone or was hit by someone whilst making those deliveries or whatever, unless the insurance is to cover the items being carried? If I do not care about having the insurance pay for the contents of the car then why would it make any difference?

Like I said - I do not know about this sort of thing so sensible replies would be appreciated.

To be 100% sure you need to ask your insurance company if you are covered for this...they do ask what sort of driving you'll be doing on the application forms....if you're not covered you could be paying for something that is useless..

When you apply for insurance, if you opt for Social, Domestic and Pleasure (SDP), it doesn't include any work use. You have to specify Social, Domestic and Pleasure AND COMMUTING (SDP&C).

I guess its just a back door so insurers can get out of paying if you have an accident.

When you apply for insurance, if you opt for Social, Domestic and Pleasure (SDP), it doesn't include any work use. You have to specify Social, Domestic and Pleasure AND COMMUTING (SDP&C).

I guess its just a back door so insurers can get out of paying if you have an accident.

Or getting more money out of you for insurance you will hopefully never claim on.

DragonofAna, that would definitely be classed as business use.

I'd sussed that much. I was asking for reasons why it would need business cover.

If you deliver leaflets and travel with them in your car then you need business cover - but those leaflets are not going to make you more likely to have an accident, and if you did have one, then you are hardly going to claim for insurance to cover the costs of those leaflets.

I'd guess that you are (theoretically) doing extra mileage and driving in a potentially higher risk environment to places that you aren't familiar with. Building sites aren't great places to have private cars and tools can cause damage, you have no choice about leaving your car in unknown / high risk areas, etc, No doubt there is a clear actuarial risk that's been calculated.

And of course, insurers love to charge for extra stuff to pay for champagne orgies in Tahiti :)

Archived