Health & Safety Gone Mad

I'd sussed that much. I was asking for reasons why it would need business cover.

If you deliver leaflets and travel with them in your car then you need business cover - but those leaflets are not going to make you more likely to have an accident, and if you did have one, then you are hardly going to claim for insurance to cover the costs of those leaflets.

If you're on the road longer then the exposure to risk is greater?

If you're on the road longer then the exposure to risk is greater?

However - if I was not out delivering leaflets or whatever then I could just as easily be spending all day driving site seeing; spending all my days just driving visiting places.

Not saying you are wrong or anything. Just trying to find the sense in it other than the extra money the insurance companies can get.

It's not as if I am saying your car is going to be burdoned with priceless items you would want to claim for.

However - if I was not out delivering leaflets or whatever then I could just as easily be spending all day driving site seeing; spending all my days just driving visiting places.

Not saying you are wrong or anything. Just trying to find the sense in it other than the extra money the insurance companies can get.

It's not as if I am saying your car is going to be burdoned with priceless items you would want to claim for.

Insurance companies charge on the basis of risk - if they believe a business user is more likely to present a greater risk, then they will charge you more.

Its pretty simple really.

No, this is not a case of H&S gone mad. There are no national regulations covering travel to and from your place of work in your own vehicle.

This is either your misunderstanding of your company's regulations or your company either misinterpreting their insurer's requirements or just being over zealous.

Either way, it is NOT a Health & Safety issue.

The perfect answer.

I know what you're saying and I don't know the reasoning behind it but I would err on the safe side and just enquire with your insurance company..

I know what you're saying and I don't know the reasoning behind it but I would err on the safe side and just enquire with your insurance company..

Thanks. If I do consider any kind of work where my car will be used for the transportation of goods then I will definitely make sure my insurance covers me.

Or getting more money out of you for insurance you will hopefully never claim on.

I have class 2 business insurance on my car as I use it for work purposes, it cost me £4.95 extra for the year. For the sake of a fiver it was worth getting in my opinion.

A fine and possible points on your licence for not driving with the correct cover seems a silly route to go down if stopped by police. Or your insurance company refusing to pay out a claim because you had the wrong cover.

That's not a major difference is it mike84. I thought people were talking about an extra couple of hundred per year at least.

If I ever use my car for anything that can be construed as business purposes then I will definitely look into getting adequate insurance.

i had a council worker come round to my house the other day and he told me a good one regarding the ladder situation . apparently the use of a ladder is now only to be used as a means of access fine . the ladder is only to be used if its secured (tied) at the top . to do this they have to erect a scaffold to reach the top, secure the ladder then its safe to use .so i asked him how is he going to get into my loft with his telescopic ladder then without the scaffolding to secure the top of his ladder :loopy: the little smilie face was his reply .:hihi:

Archived