Health & Safety Gone Mad

I work for the NHS as a community nurse, I'v always thought the NHS to be health and safety mad, but I have never been asked to show any documentation - and I have to use my car for transporting clients.

(car has tax, MOT, and insurance)

I work for the NHS as a community nurse, I'v always thought the NHS to be health and safety mad, but I have never been asked to show any documentation - and I have to use my car for transporting clients.

(car has tax, MOT, and insurance)

Yep, there's lots of "grey fleet" drivers out there (community nurses, care workers) using their own vehicle for work purposes who have never been asked for any documentation. So the most rudimentary of risk assessments are not being done - a serious omission in HSAW Reg terms but one that will be got away with, hopefully.

Utter nonsense. Either he was pulling your leg or he didn't know what he was talking about.
so the council are pulling other peoples legs too then or dont know what they are talking about

A maintenance firm contracted by Sheffield Council to carry out routine work has come under fire from a disgruntled customer, who has now been waiting over 6 weeks for a bracket on his drainpipe to be fixed.

Terence Young was less than impressed with the temporary fix which was initially carried out- all because Kier insisted that they needed scaffolding, as opposed to a simple ladder, to fix the problem.

Mr Young was further unimpressed when four more Kier workers paid a visit to assess the situation- in addition to a visit from scaffolders.

He ranted:

“It’s such a simple job, it’d take two men with a ladder 10 minutes. If I had one I’d do it myself, it’s less than 20ft! It just needs three screws.

“I don’t want anyone to get hurt, but this is bureaucracy gone mad, we’re paying for this with our council tax.”

Kier responded by explaining that the ladder ban was in place to conform with working at height regulations. A spokesperson said:

“A range of access equipment is available and these will be deployed as appropriate for the repair involved. Ladders will continue to be used but for access purposes only.”
:loopy:

Of course it is utter nonsense. In fact you've explained why it is utter nonsense in the silly article that you quoted. :) If silly people misinterpret quote simple and sensible regulations then they only have themselves to blame when they are ridiculed.

Seriously, trust me, there is no enforceable regulation such as the one that you quoted.

Of course it is utter nonsense. In fact you've explained why it is utter nonsense in the silly article that you quoted. :) If silly people misinterpret quote simple and sensible regulations then they only have themselves to blame when they are ridiculed.

Seriously, trust me, there is no enforceable regulation such as the one that you quoted.

and you have proof of what you say i take it :hihi:

Will the Working at Height Regulations do?

Tony's completely right. The Work at Height Regs do restrict ladder use, but not to the level that people are suggesting at all. Yes, if you're on a ladder for any length of time it should be secured, but obviously that's done by climbing it to secure it.

The key to all the regulations is reasonableness. It's not reasonable to expect someone to erect a scaffold to secure it. That's stupid. Similarly, it's not reasonable to expect someone to use scaffolding for a 30 second job, when someone holding the ladder would do just as well.

The WAH regs and all the other six-pack regs require people to take reasonable precautions, save for the very few strict liability regulations that exist. The Daily Mail can now relax.

Will the Working at Height Regulations do?
tony i aint arguing with you im stating what a council employee told me and i gave you an example of said procedure what too k place to achieve this .whether you dont believe me is your right, but that is the working practise for council employees,subcontractors stupid i know but thats the way we living in this compensation culture :loopy:

tony i aint arguing with you im stating what a council employee told me and i gave you an example of said procedure what too k place to achieve this .whether you dont believe me is your right, but that is the working practise for council employees,subcontractors stupid i know but thats the way we living in this compensation culture :loopy:

Alternatively he was a lazy git and was winding you up.

so the council are pulling other peoples legs too then or dont know what they are talking about

A maintenance firm contracted by Sheffield Council to carry out routine work has come under fire from a disgruntled customer, who has now been waiting over 6 weeks for a bracket on his drainpipe to be fixed.

Terence Young was less than impressed with the temporary fix which was initially carried out- all because Kier insisted that they needed scaffolding, as opposed to a simple ladder, to fix the problem.

Mr Young was further unimpressed when four more Kier workers paid a visit to assess the situation- in addition to a visit from scaffolders.

He ranted:

“It’s such a simple job, it’d take two men with a ladder 10 minutes. If I had one I’d do it myself, it’s less than 20ft! It just needs three screws.

“I don’t want anyone to get hurt, but this is bureaucracy gone mad, we’re paying for this with our council tax.”

Kier responded by explaining that the ladder ban was in place to conform with working at height regulations. A spokesperson said:

“A range of access equipment is available and these will be deployed as appropriate for the repair involved. Ladders will continue to be used but for access purposes only.”
:loopy:

someone lost their life as a result of working on ladders, this is the reason for kiers ladder situation , my brother was telling me, do you feel happy with yourself now???

Archived