Big White Tent for St Paddy's Celebrations

Leppy

Hiya Scooby.

There will be a musical event of the 23rd of April on Devonshire Green. Rumours that there will be a bar, run by the Porter Cottage management seem, thus far, to be unfounded but there'll be plenty of lager in the nearby pubs.

well if its being run by them i will certainly not be going they cant run a pub never mind a big event on dev green

ill be heading down to the tent prob this afternoon after a few in the dog & partridge

I know it's bigger, but it's less accessible to lots of people. It certainly isn't what I would call city centre. Also, come the evening, it's not such a nice place to be either.

I disagree, but then maybe I'm just dreaming of drinking in the sun and being able to lounge around with plenty of green space around me. I also don't think that the green is any worse place to be than anywhere in town.

But each to their own.... I just see it as an opportunity to get more people to celebrate it. The idea of being cramped in a tent, queuing for days for a pint, isn't everyone's idea of fun.

well if its being run by them i will certainly not be going they cant run a pub never mind a big event on dev green

Oh dear, Scooby. You clearly didn't spot my little dig there so I'll spell it out.

There will be a St George's Day musical event.

I don't know if there will be a bar.

There are lots of pubs nearby.

I know it's bigger, but it's less accessible to lots of people. It certainly isn't what I would call city centre. Also, come the evening, it's not such a nice place to be either.

Hi Again.

As far as I'm aware so far the event will run from 12 until 5pm and is located approximately 5 minutes walk from the City Hall.

Why not a big white tent on Fargate for our Patron Saint??

There's still 5 weeks for you to organise one.

Oh dear, Scooby. You clearly didn't spot my little dig there so I'll spell it out.

There will be a St George's Day musical event.

I don't know if there will be a bar.

There are lots of pubs nearby.

im not that long awake so forgive me haha

ill be in the green room no doubt watching a renactment of george slaying a dragon!

If there are real ales available in a Big White Tent on St George's Day, then I'll be there! :)

I always thought that it was a nicer area of the City Centre. The Music festival last year up there was a great success, I didn't hear of any trouble.

Who was in charge of booking the bands does anyone know? they need to sort it out for next year.

They had one good band on, the bald fella main singer with a women to his left, not sure what they were called but were good.

The other 2 I saw? what were they doing there? first one was singing irish songs badly! and on singing "the town I loved so well" said it was about Belfast, WRONG! if your going to sing something at least know what its about.

Then the band that was on from 8.30 onwards for a good hour were singing rock songs, nobody in that tent wanted to listen to them and at one point a pint was thrown at them, we wanted to listen to irish songs although the singer took great heart saying heres an irish song for ya, a U2 song :roll: they were still on gone 9.30 and we had had enough and so had a lot of people

Cosmopolitan or what?!

Supping away al fresco, my bland lager tasted even more so out of the lovely plastic pint pot. The place was alive with folk downing Guinness as if it were about to run out, men with grey beards and huge beer bellies. It was only one thirty in the afternoon and most people seemed well oiled already.

An Ambulance Responder/Paramedic on stand-by outside and I noticed the Big Wheel wasn't in operation, probably down to Elf N Safety.

Fortunately, the Sportsman on Cambridge Street was a stone's throw away, warmer, more welcoming and serving beer in glasses (not plastic).

Cosmopolitan or what?!

Supping away al fresco, my bland lager tasted even more so out of the lovely plastic pint pot. The place was alive with folk downing Guinness as if it were about to run out, men with grey beards and huge beer bellies. It was only one thirty in the afternoon and most people seemed well oiled already.

An Ambulance Responder/Paramedic on stand-by outside and I noticed the Big Wheel wasn't in operation, probably down to Elf N Safety.

Fortunately, the Sportsman on Cambridge Street was a stone's throw away, warmer, more welcoming and serving beer in glasses (not plastic).

how dare they grow facial hair and enjoy themselves!

by the way you've described them would you really want them stumbling around with a glass? or would it not make sense to give out plastic??

im sure if they had been giving out glasses they'd were dropped you'd be complaining about that

Archived