Anyone play the violin?

I bought a second hand violin on impulse, bought a new bow and thought I would soon be sounding like Joe Brown or Vanessa Mae. However, when I caress the bow against the violin strings there's no sound. I do it slow, I do it fast. Can hardly get a squeak out of it. Do I need more rosin on the bow, is the bow tension wrong or is there a mystery technique involved? Anyone know the necessary technique? None of the abracadabra kids starter books seem to mention this.

I bought a second hand violin on impulse, bought a new bow and thought I would soon be sounding like Joe Brown or Vanessa Mae. However, when I caress the bow against the violin strings there's no sound. I do it slow, I do it fast. Can hardly get a squeak out of it. Do I need more rosin on the bow, is the bow tension wrong or is there a mystery technique involved? Anyone know the necessary technique? None of the abracadabra kids starter books seem to mention this.

What you need is violin lessons.

I used to play at school, don't laugh.

It sounds like you need resin on your bow, and tension it by tightening the knob at the end.

I'll tighten the bow and put some more rosin on. I only put a bit on. I won a raffle at a lunch today (Bottle of Bells). I'll have a large one, or two. That might do the trick.

It sounds like you have no friction between the bow and the strings. Like you say you need more rosin on the bow.

The trick is to rough up the surface of the rosin cake with a knife and then give it a quick rub up with sand paper. Apply rosin to the bow and give it some more 5 minutes later. Keep doing this until you are happy with the sound. Too much will make it sound scratchy, but it will soon wear off.

Good luck.

Archived